News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which Speedo gear and housing?

Started by 73-Charger-Canada, March 23, 2016, 09:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73-Charger-Canada

Hi guys, Just wondering which style speedo gear I need. It's a late 70s A833 4 speed (the overdrive version). I noticed that there is a short style gear and housing, and a long style gear and housing. My trans came with neither the gear or the housing, so I'm having a hard time determining which one I need. The car has a 25.5" tire and 3.21 gears, so a yellow 33 tooth gear is all I've determined. Can anyone help me out? Thanks guys

crj1968

73-Charger-Canada

thanks, I think I've got the 33 tooth gear right, I'm just not sure whether or not it's the long style or the short style. I'm hoping to not have to buy both and check for fitment. If anyone has a core laying around that you know is one or the other, could you please measure distance to the speedo drive gear from the trans case? or if you have a speedo gear laying around, measure the length of the shaft and gear? This way I should be able to get a good estimate as to which mine is?

John_Kunkel

833 takes the long gear and housing. The 33-tooth pinion is correct for your setup.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

73-Charger-Canada

Excellent, thanks very much. I got lucky and the guy at my local trans shop had an 833 core sitting at the shop. It had the right housing and retainer...and even a 33 tooth yellow gear! Thanking the car gods on this one