News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing bearings and race on a rotor

Started by ACUDANUT, March 16, 2016, 08:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Is there a special tool to remove the bearing race and what about installing the new one. ?
Thanks for your experience on this.

hemi71x

No special tools required, even though there are race, and seal drivers, available to mechanics in the trade.
A pin punch, and hammer gets out the old races.
To install the new one, line up the new one, in the hub, put the old race on top of the new one, and use that to hammer in the new one.
Then just flip over the rotor, and then  punch out the old one, from on top of the new one.
Easy as pie.
A method an old timer taught me, decades ago, when i first started out in the trade.

RF-4C Phantom 69-370 Zweibrucken, Germany

JB400

ACUDANUT

I can't find my punches. What about using a chisel ?

hemi71x

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 17, 2016, 02:09:24 PM
I can't find my punches. What about using a chisel ?

Why not go buy one?    :shruggy:
How cheap can one be.
If that"s all that you hafta buy, tool wise, your getting off cheap.

b5blue

green69rt

I just used a cut off piece of wood, usually a broom handle.  All you need is a piece of wood small enough to get inside the hub.  I've always used wood to avoid scaring up the race seating surface.  Then use the old race as described above to drive in the new one.

ACUDANUT

Done. I used my neighbors punches.  I can't speak for everyone, but it seems the older we get, the less we start believing in ourselves.
It's been 20 years since I have done this, but worked out easy. Thanks Guys.

hemi71x