News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rebuild 727 transmission?

Started by DW, January 17, 2016, 07:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DW

Hi all,

I just built a 318 poly stroker (349") that should put out about 325-350 hp and similar, if not a little more, torque.  I removed the tranny too to clean it up, replace the seals, and put a Transgo TF-2 kit in.  I was checking the endplay on the input shaft, which was good at .060, but noticed there was some up and down movement as well.  I measured it at about .050.

I don't know much about autos, should it have any up and down play?  I did a little reading and if I'm getting it right the input shaft rides in a bushing in the reaction shaft?  Do I need to replace that bushing?

If so, should I go ahead and overhaul the transmission?  I don't have any clue how many miles are on it.  Seemed to work OK, but that was with a stock motor which I think was about 220hp new.  And it definitely wasn't new.  It was wore plumb out.  I do have the Torqueflite A727 Handbook by Carl Munroe that I bought years ago when I thought I was going to have to build another one.  I've never rebuilt an auto before, do you think I'll have any problem doing it?

If I do rebuild it, what specialty tools do I have to have?  His book has a section with several of them, but I'm not sure they are all needed.
1968 Dodge Coronet R/T.  Original 440/727.  B5 Blue with White Interior.  1964 Plymouth Belvedere 383/4-speed.  65 Coronet 4-Dr with poly stroker.

c00nhunterjoe

If the car is already apart, the engine is being rebuilt, then its a nobrainer to rebuild the trans.

John_Kunkel

The up/down movement of the input shaft is irrelevant, it'll center itself once the converter is installed.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

DW

OK thanks guys.

I'll probably go ahead and rebuild it since I don't know it's history.  Between the book and the various videos I've seen, I think I can do it.

Any comment on what specialty tools I have to have?
1968 Dodge Coronet R/T.  Original 440/727.  B5 Blue with White Interior.  1964 Plymouth Belvedere 383/4-speed.  65 Coronet 4-Dr with poly stroker.

Bronzedodge

Lots of good 727 info on here.  The Factory Service Manual for the year of your trans is a must have if you tackle the job yourself.  The Monroe book is excellent.  Good friend just built a Poly stroker, around 390 ci.  I'll post the torque and hp from the dyno pull later.  It does very well for iron heads.  He bought the new fancy intake from CPPA.

Tools - GOOD snap ring pliers in various sizes.  Most FSMs have a little diagram for a stand to hold the trans during assembly.
Mopar forever!

DW

Thanks BD, I do have the FSM too.

Love to see those numbers.  I don't have that intake, just a used Weiand 7503.  Were his heads worked?

Already got the snap rings pliers ordered.  Had a set of cheapos I bought at O'Reillys, but they bend if you breathe on them.

Bronzedodge

(hijacking the thread into a Poly discussion)  405 hp @ 4600, 472 tq @ 4100.  Yes, his heads were mildly ported and prepped by a local guy who is good, does lots of machine work.  Actually, he wrote an article in Chrysler Power recently.  His name is Bill Maurits, his Poly is going in a 65 Coronet 500 vert.  You might be able to find the back issue online.
Mopar forever!

DW

Thanks, I found some info on him on the web.  Looks cool.  Mine's a milder build, but I think it would be cool to build a fire-breather poly.  :2thumbs: