News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stroker or roller cam

Started by ChargerST, December 16, 2015, 04:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BSB67

Quote from: Challenger340 on December 23, 2015, 12:38:31 PM
Just me personally,
but for longevity in street useage, as with all things mentioned to added cost with street roller's, as Valve Spring pressures increase ? I look alot closer at Valve Guide "clearance" ?
The "looser" the guide with more V/Spring pressure, the faster the guide wears, and the faster the best flowing seat prep wipes away !

to explain....
I don't care so much if I see .0014" to .0017" guide clearance(Yes, less is better) on a Flat Tappet Cam at 120# seat and sub 300# over the nose V/Springs. It'll run and survive for a reasonable timeframe.
however,
on a Street Roller with 175# seat(or more) and 500# rate springs, I just KNOW with the aforementioned small amount of extra guide clearance is gonna go away sooner ?
so,
re-do to a MAX  .001" Intake and .0012" Exhaust.

The only reason I mention it.... is you would be amazed at some of the "as delivered OOTB" brand new Guide clearances present on some stuff ? Stealth/Sidewinder/even Eddy's at times ?
But they are "good to go".....  GOLDEN brand new stuff in the customers eyes Right ?

I know a bit off subject, but there does seem to be different lines of thinking on the valve to guide clearance.  My machinest from 25 yrs ago, now long ago out of business, would shoot for 0.0008" to 0.001" on the intakes and 0.001 to 0.0012" on exhaust, with his guide material choice.  I have to believe that he knew something about valve grinds as there were a few SS cars running out of his one man shop.  Seats ground out to the very edge of the valve od, and quite narrow.  Today, it seems like shops like looser clearance and more conservative on the grind.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

Build a set of stock/super stock heads are a whole different ball game. The build specs and procedures are far off from a street car and many of those engines are trash after as little as 80 passes.

BSB67

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on December 23, 2015, 11:27:20 PM
Build a set of stock/super stock heads are a whole different ball game. The build specs and procedures are far off from a street car and many of those engines are trash after as little as 80 passes.

Right.  Still 0.0008 to .001" for clearance on my 50,000 mi street car, w/ a stock cam.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

A "stock" cam is nowhere near your stock cam, and i am pretty sure you already know that. The "stocker's" profile beats the valves to death. Just listening to them idle, you can literally hear the abuse taking place. But thats the price you pay to make max power under the strict rules of the class.

BSB67

You have completely missed my point on several levels.. 001" is where intake clearance should be for longevity and is well proven to work.

And, I'm talking about my car and my cam. MP. 455".

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

I was refering to the style of valve seat grinding and the fact that he was building super stock engines. I agree with your valve guides though.