News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

valve cover wont fit???

Started by hard-charger, December 11, 2015, 05:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hard-charger

Hi, a buddy of mine has a nice 440 just rebuilt. But when the heads went on, the adjusting side of the rocker arm were not allowing the vave cover to seat onto the rail. They seem to bulky. Im no expert in the matter, but i was wondering how this could happen, and advice on how to fix it? It has 440 source roller rockers. On stage 6 heads, 440source aluminum fab valve covers. Thanks!

Ghoste

It does happen when you start mixing and matching stuff that isn't stock.  In this case it might be a better question for 440 Source although someone here might know.  Something with the heads?

BSB67

Not uncommon.  Depending on the specifics, could be a few ways to fix it.  No big deal.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

hard-charger

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I was wondering what things can be done to fix it? I was thinking maybe grind off alittle bit of the inner valve cover. It has i little inner lip on it. Someone i know suggested grinding off the back adjuster end of the rocker. But rather not. I saw shims to raise the shaft might help. But then the geometry will be off and my need lash caps or somthing.
Any suggestions would be priceless. Thanks again.

BSB67

Quote from: hard-charger on December 11, 2015, 04:48:02 PM
Hi, thanks for the replies.

I was wondering what things can be done to fix it? I was thinking maybe grind off alittle bit of the inner valve cover. It has i little inner lip on it. Someone i know suggested grinding off the back adjuster end of the rocker. But rather not. I saw shims to raise the shaft might help. But then the geometry will be off and my need lash caps or somthing.
Any suggestions would be priceless. Thanks again.

Got to know the type of valve cover and where it is hitting.  Could be altering a baffle, different adjusters, thicker gasket, just depends on the specifics.

Cannot picture how a shaft shim would help, but maybe.  I would not worry about geometry.  If you have a roller tip, it is already way off, and the shims would help if anything, but that is another discussion.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

hard-charger

Its hitting on the bottom, of the inside of the vavle cover . hahahaha! Im gonna take a picture. Its hard to put it in writing. :smilielol:

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

fy469rtse

Had the same issue with mine ,
Roller rockers when valve opened touched , die grinder , had to take square inner edge off for rocker clearance
Does that make sense ,
Intake side of covers right,
It's the big flat area to these fabricated covers , ? Is that what your fitting,
Because its worse with all other covers
Good tip is use the moroso blues re usable gaskets, glue them or silicone them to covers, will result in zero leaks

maxwellwedge

I had to cut the inner baffle with a bunch of holes to clear the rockers on one engine. You should have heard that engine when we first fired it.....thought the world was coming to an end.

This after Hughes said a stock valve cover could be used with one of their rockers........Not!  :lol:

hard-charger

Yes. Its touching the inner, intake side of the the valve cover.  We were thinking about grinding the back of the rocker. (the adjuster side) and the inner lip, on the bottom rail of the vavle cover. That way it can move the valve covor downward, (towards the ground. Not downwards towards the engine. The vavle cover has ample amount of overhead clearance. Did i explain that right? Hahaha... Ya, i just wanted to get options to fix the prob. I dont want to grinf unless i have to. I dont want to compromise the strength of the rocker. Thanks.