News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fiberglass hood

Started by xx29440charger, December 15, 2015, 06:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xx29440charger

Anyone put a fiberglass hood on their car? Did you have to replace the hood hinges as you switched from metal to fiberglass? Any complaints thoughts or comments?  I'm in the process of purchasing a fiberglass hood for a 70 Charger. As far as I know they do not make metal ones. Only fiberglass. Your comments are greatly appreciated before I buy. Thank you !

Lennard

Yes you need different springs or you might crack your hood.

xx29440charger

Lennard

Or if you can't find any, you could leave them off.

alenglish

Yes you need  lighter hinges, as the new hood is much lighter. I also found the fiberglass hood flexed a lot over 80-100mph, I havn't fixed that  yet but inch x inch L-bracketed steel  fiberglassed on the under side  helped a lot.  I still get some flex but not much.     BigAlSr

>You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape.  If it doesn't move
>and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct
tape.
>

xx29440charger

Who sells the hood hinges for fiberglass hoods?

alenglish

tape.
>

Lennard

Hinges are factory. You just need lighter springs. I bought mine on ebay.

alenglish

Lennard might be right  I dont remember
tape.
>

Troy

Quote from: alenglish on December 15, 2015, 07:38:48 PM
Yes you need  lighter hinges, as the new hood is much lighter. I also found the fiberglass hood flexed a lot over 80-100mph, I havn't fixed that  yet but inch x inch L-bracketed steel  fiberglassed on the under side  helped a lot.  I still get some flex but not much.     BigAlSr

Holy smokes! Where have you been? :wave:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Lennard

The only difference between a fiberglass hood and a steel hood is the weight.  The mounting points are the same.

alenglish

yes the mounting points are the same.         and yes he's right  only the springs   BigAl
I'm still here Troy  Al
tape.
>

xx29440charger

What kind of lighter springs on eBay will work or can I purchase them from another car

Lennard

They are universal.  I bought mine ten years ago so I don't remember what the ebay description said.

skip68

Out of curiosity, why do you want a fiberglass hood?  If it's to cut a hole for a scoop just buy a new one.  If it's weight, is it enough so it's worth it?   :cheers:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

xx29440charger

replacing my hood. I might repair it though

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

cdr

do not get one from unlimited products ,,,, what a overprice piece of crap, it is to thin to use any springs, it bends . i have 4 pins in front so it wont blow off.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

JR

I know I would love a good quality glass hood with a hemi scoop. My car could really use some weight off the nose.

How much does the steel hood weigh, anyway? It's gotta be up there.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

VegasCharger

Quote from: xx29440charger on December 15, 2015, 08:30:29 PM
replacing my hood. I might repair it though

Where are you located? I have an OEM 1970 Charger hood.

xx29440charger

Thanks everybody for all your input! I'm in the San Francisco area

Dino

Quote from: JR on December 15, 2015, 09:38:00 PM
I know I would love a good quality glass hood with a hemi scoop. My car could really use some weight off the nose.

How much does the steel hood weigh, anyway? It's gotta be up there.

Not all that much, I moved mine through the garage and onto a few saw horses by myself this summer to paint the underside.  It wasn't all that heavy, just damn big.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mike DC

A stock steel '69 hood is about 65 lbs.  I weighed it once. 

It's easy to let the size of something skew how heavy you think it is.  The hood doesn't seem all that heavy because it's so big, but 65 lbs is still quite a bit.  

Both halves of the back seat together weigh a total of 50 lbs.  Doesn't that sound way too high?  But that's what the scale said.    

JR

Wow, I would have sworn it weighed more than that. Last time I had it off I was wondering if it was lined with lead. Must be the size making it bulky and awkward.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green