News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1971 Dodge Charger R/T or 1970 Dodge Coronet R/T?

Started by NateCharger, November 11, 2015, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeeWJay426

He isn't trying to trade you even up, is he? If that is the case, like Daytona R/T SE said, he is trying to screw you. Given the conditions of the two cars, I'd look for a minimum of 12K to do that trade....
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

70 sublime

If the 70 has never been painted and you can see what you are getting for sure I think I would consider trading if the Coronet is 100% all there
Looks like burnt orange interior (I like that colour)

Make sure the frame is all good front and back

Should try to get $5000 cash out of him to fix trunk floor and maybe a new wiring harness just to be safe
(maybe come down to $3000 if you like the Coronet when you see it in person)
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

472 R/T SE

Quote from: TeeWJay426 on November 12, 2015, 03:07:36 PM
He isn't trying to trade you even up, is he? If that is the case, like Daytona R/T SE said, he is trying to screw you. Given the conditions of the two cars, I'd look for a minimum of 12K to do that trade....

Remember, you're on a Charger forum asking.   I was gonna say $8k-$10k at least. 

'70 Coronets are a love 'em or hate 'em rig.  I love 'em.  I had a purple V code '70 Super Bee, Super Track Pack.  GG said it was the last v code Bee & 2nd to last Bee to come out of St. Louis according to his records. 

polywideblock

stick to the charger   :yesnod:  like I said I love 70 coronets but that's just not a deal  :Twocents:

unless there's about 5 grand coming your way with the trade

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

NateCharger

The car has two tone black/burnt orange seats, they look nice. Really not to sure of the condition of them though. And it is a 40/20/40 front seat setup.

Dino

I wouldn't take that car and $5K, that money doesn't even get you close to finishing that Coronet.  It would be a fun project for the right price but letting go of that '71 would have you kicking yourself until the day you die.

It's not the question what each car is worth, the question is what investment is required to get that Coronet in good shape?  The car's actual value means little here.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

NateCharger

Quote from: Dino on November 12, 2015, 10:42:26 PM
I wouldn't take that car and $5K, that money doesn't even get you close to finishing that Coronet.  It would be a fun project for the right price but letting go of that '71 would have you kicking yourself until the day you die.

It's not the question what each car is worth, the question is what investment is required to get that Coronet in good shape?  The car's actual value means little here.

I hear you, my Charger is pretty much rust free and original. This one is much more work than mine. Just love the looks of the 70' R/T, the side scoops and twin snorkel front end and twin hood scoops...

Dino

I understand, i really do, but the car is only a shadow of its former self and it'll take a lot to turn it into the car you want it to be.  This doesn't mean it's not worth pursuing if this is what you want, but f I was in your shoes I'd have to get a lot of money in the trade, a lot!

How attached are you to the Charger?  What amount of money would take it without you having to think twice or feel bad about it?  Don't think about actual value of the Charger, only what it would take to sell it.  My car is worth maybe $30K but you can double that and I still wouldn't sell it.

NateCharger

Did the seats come two tone like this?

GOTWING

crj1968

I agree with Dino. After really getting into that Coronet, you are likely gonna be mad at yourself.....unless you absolutely have to have it, love it to death etc...but if that was the case you'd have traded already.

That Coronet is cool no doubt, but could be $20K easy just to get it going and looking decent

NateCharger

Quote from: crj1968 on November 13, 2015, 12:57:27 PM
I agree with Dino. After really getting into that Coronet, you are likely gonna be mad at yourself.....unless you absolutely have to have it, love it to death etc...but if that was the case you'd have traded already.

That Coronet is cool no doubt, but could be $20K easy just to get it going and looking decent

It could even be worse than that! With the trunk pan needing to be replaced, I wonder what condition the whole underside of the car is in...

Troy

Not a chance! And that's not just because I'm not a fan of the front end on the 70 Coronet (I like it about as much as I like 3rd gen Chargers). Typically, the Coronet is worth less that a Charger of the same year but you're dealing with different generations. I don't keep up with the values on either car but the Coronet is likely the more expensive car when finished. Interestingly, a finished car is almost never worth the value of its parts. Project cars are about worth the value of their parts so it's a bit lopsided. You're looking at getting a project (valued high) and turning it into a finished car - which will get valued low. Bad investment!

Money aside, you've got a drivable car now and you're looking at one with a year or two minimum to get it in the same state. Are you willing and able to tackle a project of that magnitude? Do you have the knowledge and skill to make that Coronet into the one you dream about? If no, then sell your car add some extra capital and buy a finished Coronet R/T.

If that guy gets $15k for that car in that condition then now is a great time for me to sell off everything in my garage. I sold a decent, drivable 68 Charger R/T not long ago for not much more than that.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

NateCharger

The more I look at this, the more foolish I feel for even starting the thread. My car has all new brakes with stainless braided lines, new leaf springs, Bilsteins on every corner, new Firecore Dist w/wires and Rev'n'nator, new 750 Edelbrock, all new interior, carpet and headliner, brand new tires, new paint under new vinyl top, and more. Thanks for opening my eyes everyone!

Dino

You're still squinting a bit since you're running a 750 Edelbrock.   :slap:   :lol:

polywideblock

just remember ,despite comments on here a 3rd gen RT charger is "WAY  COOL"     :drool5:  :2thumbs:  :Twocents:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

crj1968

Quote from: NateCharger on November 13, 2015, 04:16:47 PM
The more I look at this, the more foolish I feel for even starting the thread.

I wouldn't feel foolish, it's an interesting car that you rarely have an opportunity to get your hands on.  But sounds like your car is done up real nice. 
Enjoy the road, not the rust.   
:cheers:

472 R/T SE

If you're like me, talking about a deal like this can help a person see clearer.

When you're smitten with something sometimes all logic & common sense out the window.  Go ahead, ask me how I would know that?   ;)

You sound like you might value a '70 'net over a '71 Charger so it's nice to get unbiased ( little harder here ) opinions to help you see through the fog.

I'm the opposite.  I don't care for the side scoops, twin scoops & the tail panel.  Prefer the looks of the Super Bee tail panel much more.  It's sort of like a '70 Charger's in that it's one piece.  Try sitting behind the wheel of the power bulge hood.  It looks way cool.  Now with the hood open, twin scoops for the win.

Sublime/Sixpack

As much as I like Coronets, I'd keep the Charger.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

fc7_plumcrazy

your Charger looks nice but needs new wheels for sure

Carsten

Rolling_Thunder

I'd keep the charger...   and I've been hunting for a 70 Coronet for a while...     Charger is was more valuable. That Coronet is maybe $7,500? car

This is assuming the Coronet isn't something special like a V-code 4-speed car or something. They I would definitely trade.  :Twocents:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: fc7_plumcrazy on December 13, 2015, 04:30:32 PM
your Charger looks nice but needs new wheels for sure

Carsten

What's wrong with his wheels ?  :shruggy:

They look OK to me.  :scope:

RallyeMike

It all depends on what you want, but as far as value goes, options and etc. can shift the balance of value. I'd say if they are both 727 cars with standard-ish options and the 70 is actually complete, the value of your 71 is more than the Coronet. Let's face it, "Running" is a big seller. But, for example, If the 70 is say a 4-speed Dana car with power windows and few other goodies, the balance starts to shift.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

73rallye440magnum

Nate, I wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger when your Charger was sold (I assume to you) this spring. I'm glad to see it got cleaned up and is on the road.

I'll resonate the consensus- your R/T is way cooler than that Coronet, and consider changing your wheels.  :nana:
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0