News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Torsion Bar Crossmember

Started by John Milner, December 01, 2015, 03:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Milner

I am looking at a '68 Charger that I am considering buying.  The car is in need of a restoration.  It needs a driver's lower quarter but comes with a new AMD quarter.  Needs lower rear valance replaced.  It has a complete front grill and hideaway system that is in good shape.  It is missing the buckets seats.  It needs an engine and transmission.  Has a 8 3/4 rear end.  Overall it is not a complete rust bucket.  The rear frame rails look good.  The only thing about this car that scares me off somewhat is someone hacked the torsion bar crossmember out with a torch for whatever reason.  Is this a difficult thing to replace?  Thanks.

draftingmonkey

I assume you mean something like this http://www.classicdiscountparts.com/products.php?product=66%252d70-Mopar-B%252dBody%2C-Torsion-Bar-Anchor-Crossmember? If you have the space and the skills you should have no major problems.

John Milner

Yes, that's the piece.  Someone cut the middle part of it and middle part of the floor pan completely out.  They also proceeded to hack the part off that the torsion bars actually attach to.  So, it would need the complete brace/crossmember replaced.

green69rt

Quote from: John Milner on December 01, 2015, 03:58:06 PM
Yes, that's the piece.  Someone cut the middle part of it and middle part of the floor pan completely out.  They also proceeded to hack the part off that the torsion bars actually attach to.  So, it would need the complete brace/crossmember replaced.

It's not too hard.  If you buy from AMD make sure the TB sockets are parallel,  it' s not too hard to test, just put the TB's in and let them hang naturally.  If they don't hang in parallel, the support may have been made wrong.  Oh, and you'll probably need a new floor or at least a patch from a donor.

John_Kunkel

The previous owner was probably trying to install an overdrive trans. Some folks go overboard with the crossmember.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Mike DC

Before moving forward with replacing anything you should check that car's unibody for squareness.  That T-bar crossmember is very much a structural item. 

It probably would not be a huge issue to straighten it back out if it has moved (a little bit) due to missing metal.  But the issue gets a whole lot uglier once something new has been welded back into place on the body while it was sitting crooked. 

69rtse4spd

Check with a frame shop & see if they can do the work, & how much. Then reduce that amount & the cost of the part from what they want. If they don't like your new offer, walk away.

John Milner

Thanks for the input and advise.  I generally try to do all of the work on project cars myself.  I was just trying to get a feel as to how difficult of a process this was.  My main concern was the front of the car flexing.  And of course my welding skills since this seems to be a very important structural piece in a Charger.  I can certainly weld, just not sure I would trust myself welding something that gave the front end of the car support.  The car is $3,500 so it isn't that terribly high.  It is a pretty big project but other than the torsion bar crossmember, I have certainly fixed up cars in worse shape. 

VegasCharger

Quote from: John Milner on December 02, 2015, 04:45:03 PM
Thanks for the input and advise.  I generally try to do all of the work on project cars myself.  I was just trying to get a feel as to how difficult of a process this was.  My main concern was the front of the car flexing.  And of course my welding skills since this seems to be a very important structural piece in a Charger.  I can certainly weld, just not sure I would trust myself welding something that gave the front end of the car support.  The car is $3,500 so it isn't that terribly high.  It is a pretty big project but other than the torsion bar crossmember, I have certainly fixed up cars in worse shape. 

Hello and welcome aboard :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Good luck with your project should you take it on.

68s are the best. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

green69rt

Quote from: John Milner on December 02, 2015, 04:45:03 PM
Thanks for the input and advise.  I generally try to do all of the work on project cars myself.  I was just trying to get a feel as to how difficult of a process this was.  My main concern was the front of the car flexing.  And of course my welding skills since this seems to be a very important structural piece in a Charger.  I can certainly weld, just not sure I would trust myself welding something that gave the front end of the car support.  The car is $3,500 so it isn't that terribly high.  It is a pretty big project but other than the torsion bar crossmember, I have certainly fixed up cars in worse shape.  

If you know someone that is an experienced welder, ask them to help or to check your work.  Or Tack the piece in place and take it to a shop for the finish work.  You have a decent welder, preferably a MIG with gas? And for the alignment, just build yourself a jig, doesn't have to be pretty, just stout.