News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TrickFlow heads, they're okay...........I guess.

Started by heyoldguy, March 05, 2016, 02:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heyoldguy

I guess?.........In jest, I really do like them.

First day on the dyno with the TrickFlow heads. 440 .030" over (446ci), 9.9:1 compression, stock forged crank .010/.010, 850cfm Mighty Demon, Edelbrock Victor intake and Edelbrock RPM intake, solid roller 238/242 @ .050 112LSA (like a 232/236 @ .050 hydraulic roller) 'bout .630/.640 net lift.

Victor intake..........591hp @ 5,900rpm and 562 torque @ 4,800 rpm

RPM intake............575hp @ 5,700rpm and 558 torque @ 4,800 rpm......but......500 lb-ft of torque from 3,100-5,900 rpm and 550 lb-ft of torque from 3,600-5,200rpm

LowDeck451

Nice!  :2thumbs: 1.6 Rockers? Any plans to test them with lift in the lower .500 range?  :popcrn:

heyoldguy

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

BSB67

Thanks for posting.

Can you share more about the cam and rockers?  That net lift is pretty high even for a solid roller with only 238°/242° @ 0.050".

Thanks

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

firefighter3931

Thanks for sharing your results Jim !  :2thumbs:

I'd say those are pretty nice results for a low compression build with a wide lobed cam. I wonder how it would respond with 1-1.5 points of compression and a bigger duration stick on tighter lobes ?  :scratchchin:

The RPM intake is definitely the choke point with the TF heads....

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BSB67

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 06, 2016, 07:41:04 AM
Thanks for sharing your results Jim !  :2thumbs:

I'd say those are pretty nice results for a low compression build with a wide lobed cam. I wonder how it would respond with 1-1.5 points of compression and a bigger duration stick on tighter lobes ?  :scratchchin:

The RPM intake is definitely the choke point with the TF heads....

Ron

It is always nice spending someone elses money on dyno time, but I would like to see what the Holley SD with a 3/4" spacer would do.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

heyoldguy

Went with the Harland Sharp rockers at 1.6 ratio. A lot of thought went into the lobes to get some lift to take advantage of the heads but still survive on the street. Tight lash, high lift, high rpm lobes running less than 6,000 rpm. Idle quality is one thing requested for the engine so we did manage to get 11" at 800 rpm. Lots of tuning yet to go as the 6-BBL is the next thing up.

Yeah, there is a lot of talk about, "What if we did this?" We've done the tests the owner requested we do. We have the Street Dominator and Torker II intakes and a lot of other cams we could run IF this were a dyno mule. We'll probably still do some lash and cam timing changes.

LowDeck451

That's cool, didn't realize it was a customer's motor. That raises a question I've had for a while though, how much is too much lift for a street/strip engine, as it relates to valve spring wear? I realize there are a LOT of variables, like RPM, and 99% of street/strip cars spend 99% of their time on the street, or, the aggressive '.904 lobes' will work the valve springs harder but, is there a 'rule of thumb' lift range for a car that will be driven an hour+ to the track, without having to worry about springs going away (getting soft? breakage?) every......I don't know......five thousand miles?  :shruggy: Thanx guys.

BSB67

Quote from: LowDeck451 on March 07, 2016, 03:53:31 PM
That's cool, didn't realize it was a customer's motor. That raises a question I've had for a while though, how much is too much lift for a street/strip engine, as it relates to valve spring wear? I realize there are a LOT of variables, like RPM, and 99% of street/strip cars spend 99% of their time on the street, or, the aggressive '.904 lobes' will work the valve springs harder but, is there a 'rule of thumb' lift range for a car that will be driven an hour+ to the track, without having to worry about springs going away (getting soft? breakage?) every......I don't know......five thousand miles?  :shruggy: Thanx guys.

I think that I posted not to long ago regarding the lack of mid level rockers in the 1.7 ratio and higher range.  All these inexpensive aftermarket heads that flow well past 0.600" and no reasonable way to get there for the average guy buying these heads.

I don't think the issue is spring wear (if that is what you really meant) it is the abuse, wear and possible failure of most everything else in the valve train (lobes, lifters, push rods, rockers. valves and seats)

Also, it is not a lift only issue.  Getting a 0.630" lift with a 320° duration cam is easier on parts, usually, than one with 274° duration. (advertised)

It is not clear if you mean solid flat tappet, or roller.  In short, there is no bright line that puts you on one side or the other, it is a continuum.  And like you stated, there are lots of variables.  For a given duration, the more lift means more aggressive lobes, means higher spring rates.  The faster lobes and higher spring rates are a compounding effect on valve train abuse.  And I can tell you that everyone's opinion on where you draw the line and cross the line to "too much" is different.  For an example, a Comp XE street roller with a similar duration that heyoldguy used would have a net lift of about 0.590".   So he has selected something more aggressive than that, but it sounds like the rpm will be pretty low.  

For rollers, I have a spring (i.e. spring spec) that I like to use, and that is what I use to determine if a lobe is too aggressive or not for the intended rpm.  Comp has about 6 lobe families that I would consider using that have lobes with small enough duration and work with my desired spring in my typical use and rpm range.

Finally, for moderate style street type roller cams and any flat tappet for the street, valve spring life will have more to do with spring quality. You get what you pay for.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

LowDeck451

BSB67, Thanks for the response, I understand your points/examples, makes sense.

LowDeck451

test (trying to post pic., not going well)       Finally!!!...Jeez!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

heyoldguy

Pull with the 6-BBL 589 HP, back up pull 592 HP

Yes it says 1/11/16 on the date. Ever since the first of the year the date resets on the dyno if I shut it down for awhile. I'm too lazy to call SuperFlow and fix it. This run was yesterday 3/9/16

c00nhunterjoe

To hell with the horsepower, look at that torque curve! Or should i say torque line!!!!!!

Eldovert

That would be fun on the street...Well done Jim!
Cheers,Pat

LowDeck451

:cheers: Six Pack! :cheers: I'll drink to that!......(don't drink and drive!)