News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 priming

Started by 73charger440, September 11, 2016, 07:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73charger440

Ok a rather long question, I'm getting close to start up on my 440
I have a lot of time and money invested and don't want anything missed up. I bought some locus break in oil and a prime rod. So let me see if I have the correct priming procedure.
1.Mark and remove the distributor gear out.
2.Lubricate with a small amount of oil at the pump inside.
3 rotate counter clockwise rod with a drill
4. Have an assistant rotate the crank while pump is being primed so oil come out of both heads. Remove both valve covers to check.
5. Check oil pressure gauge for correct pressure.
6. Put distributor gear back in.

Now I've heard the distributer gear has to be aligned in a certain way to work Correctly?  Does the slot have to align with the mount hole? I've rotated the motor to mount the torque converter, would this have affected the timing of the oil pump?

BLK 68 R/T

There is no timing of the oil pump, however once you rotate the engine with the distributor out you will have to start over on the timing  ;)

John_Kunkel

With #1 cylinder at TDC the distributor slot in the gear should point roughly down the for/aft centerline of the crankshaft.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.