News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is there a trick to installing a glovebox?

Started by Lord Warlock, November 08, 2015, 11:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Warlock

Got a new glovebox in the mail last week, it is already put together, I was in the charger today and tried to "dry fit" the thing and realized it doesn't fit in through the front, I guess that means I'm supposed to put it in through the bottom...but the AC box in the right footwell is in the way...in order to get this piece of cardboard in, I'll probably have to spend hours taking ducts out.  Was trying to avoid that.  Only have stamina to work in the car a few minutes at a time, and next to useless upside down looking under the dash. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

HANDM

I know it's not the right way but on my 69 I literally bent and flattened the shit out of it to get it in. From there I gave it a reach around to reshape it and get the screws in.....

1974dodgecharger

slightly had to bend mine to get it in...its a piece of carboard...no biggie...

Dino

Take the glovebox door off, remove the piano hinge, extert some well placed pressure on the cardboard and pop that sucker right in.  No need to mess with the duct work.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Lord Warlock

Good to hear, will look into that approach.  At least the new box is more flexible than the old one was coming out, while cleaning and vacuuming the inner structure found an old chunk of the original, was brittle and hard.  Prefer not to undo much if can avoid it, just delays me longer as I work through other small issues. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

HANDM

Quote from: Dino on November 09, 2015, 12:29:25 AM
Take the glovebox door off, remove the piano hinge, extert some well placed pressure on the cardboard and pop that sucker right in.  No need to mess with the duct work.

Careful with the hinge, if I remember right, it'll take yer damn fingers off if your not paying attention, well not really but yeah, it bites  :eek2:

Bronzedodge

I did the same as Dino.  Watch out for your glove box light.  The wire is always hot - switch makes ground, and the little side brass terminal is unique.  Yes, it is very difficult, you will think it is going to tear.  Tricky aligning the screws too.
Mopar forever!