News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 issues

Started by J-440, November 15, 2015, 04:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-440

Rebuilt tranny with new parts and full fluid.  Park and Reverse work fine.  Neutral, the wheels will turn forward but are really hard to turn rearward.  Drive works but I have to give it gas.  I've been adjusting the linkage per instructions but I still get the same results.  I also have some "slop" with the shifter going from N to D, meaning I don't have to press the button down to move the shifter between the 2.  I've got about an hour's worth of run time on jackstands to get the line pressure up and the fluid to circulate.  Next up is pulling the pan to inspect a brand new valve body.  Anyone had a problem like this?  Thanks.
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

John_Kunkel

So, the only operation has been on jackstands?  ::)  Difficult turning backwards is perfectly normal.

You need to determine if the slop in the linkage is allowing it to be in two gears at once, disconnect the linkage and operate the trans shift lever by hand.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

J-440

Difficult to turn the tires rearward while in N is normal?  Ok, I'll buy that since the rear end is brand new also.  Gonna try the linkage disconnected.  Thanks John.

John_Kunkel

Without going into a lengthy dissertation, turning the output shaft backwards causes the planetary gears to go into an overdrive condition which causes the normal drag of the released clutches to be amplified. The drag in the released clutches is what makes the tires to turn in Neutral on jackstands.

J-440

Thanks for that.  Well I did what you said and N and D act the same.  I could also stop the tires from moving with my hands, then they gradually start to turn again.  Next step??

John_Kunkel

Sounds like the problem is in the rear clutch, it's used in all forward gears and if it's slipping that explains why it's reluctant to move in Drive.

Pull the VB and do an air test of the rear clutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvzSpMuCvgM

J-440

Big help John, thank you sir!!