News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1975 charger dilemma

Started by Dawn1975, May 03, 2015, 04:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dawn1975

I bought a1975 charger about a year ago and can use some advice any kind of information on this car. Recently I found out that I have to replace the driver side floor can a 74' floor fit in a 75'. Again any information on the car is deeply appreciated

ODZKing

73 and 74 are different according to the part numbers, I have to believe 74 and 75 are different as well but I don't have a 75 parts book to confirm it.
The re is a fellow over at the third gen forum that has both ... he may be able to tell you with more confidence.
http://wichargerguy.proboards.com/
DynoDave is his handle.  See you over there.

Dawn1975

HPP

I believe 75 to 77 are the interchanges for your car. Also look for Corboda and Fury models of the same year brackets.

Dawn1975

Thank you for the replies, As it turns out from 1974-1975 all had the same floor, I however replaced the alternator, the battery 3 times, and just gave it a tune up ran great that same night but was dead in the morning recharged the battery ran great for a day but then it died jumped it four times but it just won't hold a charge I figure I would replace each part but I want only the best parts for the car any recommendations to any parts will a big help

ODZKing

Quote from: Dawn1975 on November 04, 2015, 12:04:43 PM
Thank you for the replies, As it turns out from 1974-1975 all had the same floor, I however replaced the alternator, the battery 3 times, and just gave it a tune up ran great that same night but was dead in the morning recharged the battery ran great for a day but then it died jumped it four times but it just won't hold a charge I figure I would replace each part but I want only the best parts for the car any recommendations to any parts will a big help
Well, first punctuation would be of great assistance. I am no longer sure if we are looking for floor pans or an electrical issue.
If your battery is dying overnight, you have something on. It is usually something stupid like the glove box light, interior lights, trunk light.  Something is drawing power and killing the battery.
Now if it is not charging, that is another story. Voltage regulator or alternator would be the place to start there but I believe you said you replaced the alternator. But just because it is new doesn't mean it is good. Auto Zone or advance auto has meters they can put on the vehicle to see what is not up to par.  My  :Twocents:

70 sublime

I would turn everything off then un hook the battery then just tap the conector to the post to see if there is a spark and if there is start pulling fuses to see what is drawing power.
After each fuse tap the post to check for sparks (or use a test light between the post and the battery cable)
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Dawn1975

I got a remanufactured alternator which was not the best choice. Cars I've had before would have this same problem and 9 outta 10 times it was the alternator, but right now I'm not so much as wanting to just fix it but more like want to restore the car with the best parts for the car, winter is around the corner and I wanted to restore  it while I she was put away for the winter. Sorry about the punctuation and thanx for the responses

ODZKing

No problem, sometimes people don't realize they are doing it.
As far as the car sublime has an excellent solution.  That should at very least narrow it down to where the problem is. 
But as I said, I'd bet it is a bulb stuck on somewhere.  Glove box is notorious for that.

Kern Dog

"Well, first punctuation would be of great assistance."

Yeah... People that write these run-on sentences MUST learn that their stuff is really annoying to read. If you make it hard to read, you make it hard for people to WANT to help you. It isn't that we are trying to be jerks, we just want people to use proper English and punctuation.

stripedelete

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 05, 2015, 09:38:44 PM
"Well, first punctuation would be of great assistance."

Yeah... People that write these run-on sentences MUST learn that their stuff is really annoying to read. If you make it hard to read, you make it hard for people to WANT to help you. It isn't that we are trying to be jerks, we just want people to use proper English and punctuation.

It's one of those things that makes "Idiocracy" seem all too prophetic.

Kern Dog

Holy crap! I've been saying this for years.  :2thumbs:

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dawn1975

Grammar and punctuation are a pain to do on my phone, I'll be honest with you all language arts was not one of my strong suits. I'm not too good at text lingo what the does LMBO mean. Truly though sorry for the grammar.

Dawn1975

Ok like see I'll point one out right now. I mean point a grammar and punctuation problem now that was the phone it says " what the does LMBO mean", it was supposed to be " what the heck does LMBO mean". Just pointing it out.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dawn1975

Ahh takes me back to my school days  :brickwall: how many times I did that in class :icon_smile_big:

Dawn1975

Instead of a wall it was my desk

Ghoste

Auto-correct can be brutal with phones.

Dawn1975

Wish I knew how to turn it off.  :shruggy:

timmycharger

Wow, tough crowd.  Will there be a test at the end of this? 

"  If you make it hard to read, you make it hard for people to WANT to help you. It isn't that we are trying to be jerks, we just want people to use proper English and punctuation. "

so basically good luck getting helped with your question unless the grammar is correct?  Sounds legit to me  :rofl:

Dawn1975

I know you all are just trying to help, but if you want to help what am I doing wrong exactly. I'm not being a jerk I'm being honest.

Ghoste

It sort of went into a side discussion.  Did you try the suggestions above to narrow down the point of the short?

Dawn1975

From what I can see it was because of run on sentences, and punctuation. Hopefully now though that's outta the way.

Kern Dog

You should "google" the emission laws for classic cars in your state. In the Live Free Or Die state, I'd hope they are lenient. The 1975 models came with Catalytic converters. These are very effective at cleaning up emissions but the cars of the 70s had pretty restrictive exhaust systems. The point was to create backpressure to allow the exhaust to linger in the catalytic converter a wee bit longer.
If your state does not require emission testing for your car, you are free to make some real effective changes. A true dual exhaust in the 2 1/4" size can be worth 25-30 Hp compared to a single 2 1/4" pipe with the catalytic converter. A well tuned 4 barrel carburetor can still allow you to get 15 mpg on the freeway or more.