News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MSD concerns - the trials and woes of a new MSD customer

Started by BananaDan, August 10, 2015, 12:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BananaDan

Except that I had one box from Amazon and 3 from Pep Boys that all failed. In fact, the Amazon box failed after 2 months and the Pep Boys boxes died within 24 hours each.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Mopar Nut

If I was you I would switch to Firecore, that sucks.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

BananaDan

I give up. The Charger won't start again, no spark.  :flame: :flame: :brickwall: :brickwall: It had run every time after switching to the analog box until today.

I am done with MSD and the installation I paid someone to do. The car is now away for the season and every MSD-related part and every piece of wiring added/spliced into my car is being cut out including my now suspect engine harness. A new engine harness and ignition system is next. Lesson learned. Do it yourself or don't do it at all.

I need a beer, and a Firecore RTR distributor.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

68charger440

The problem may be a bit of fault on both ends.  I had problems burning out msd components also, but it would run OK with the old analog stuff.  I found that the digital components are very sensitive to voltage spikes etc, while the analog stuff is more robust.  It gets harder and harder to not believe your car has some underlying electrical problem that is causing this issue if you keep burning them out one after another.  Once I got my electrical problems straightened out, I stopped burning out the digital components.  If they are right and you are running counterfeit stuff then all bets are off.  That stuff burns out when you sneeze.  Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater either. I.e pulling the new harness etc.  
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

68charger440

I have also found that testing voltage at the battery is like randomly testing one circuit in your home's breaker box when your kitchen lights go out.  You need to test the right circuit.  You need to test it throughout the entire ignition system as well.  I did the ammeter bypass upgrade after finding toasted bulkhead connectors to and from the ammeter which feeds most of the rest of the car.  I think it was the "p" and "j" bulkhead connectors, but I could be remembering that wrong.  Anyway the bulkhead connectors were crispy and the feeder lines tapped off of that line were spiking up and down in voltage.  Once I did the ammeter bypass and replaced those wires my problem with burning out ignition components went away also.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!