News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Use the MSD or the Firecore

Started by oldcarnut, August 24, 2015, 01:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

The two pics below show what I have available to me. Long time back as I was beginning to get stuff for the 440-6 I was intending to build I bought this Firecore system for an upgrade.  Couple years went by with no work getting done because of family deaths etc, and I bought a challenger with a strong 440 and this MSD system in it.  MSD 6A 8546  8202 coil  and 8.5mm wires.   I placed this motor in my car build intending to have something to run for a while until one day(year :icon_smile_blackeye:) I get that 440-6 motor built.  Anyway I'm making the engine harness for this car and was wondering if either these system have an advantage over the other and which would be the best to use so I can figure my wires out and mounting locations to suit. Any help advise appreciated. 

Ghoste

69wannabe

scratchinfotraction

how long ago did you buy the firecore dist?

it may need updates.

oldcarnut

Got them May 3rd 2011 from Ron.  Reckon I'll go ahead and put it in since I got the money tied up in it.  Ron you think it needs upgrading or good to go? Will figure what to do with the MSD later either keeping as a spare or selling it off.

firefighter3931

I would install it as is and set the base timing to 16* BTDC and rev it up to 3000 to check the total timing. There are no updates in the design since the introduction of the RTR distributor so just run it and if need be we can make some adjustments if required.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

oldcarnut

firefighter3931

Quote from: oldcarnut on August 25, 2015, 04:14:17 PM
Thanks Ron  :cheers:    

You're welcome  :2thumbs:

Just some basic info ; The RTR comes pre-set with approx. 20* of mechanical advance and two medium weight springs. This allows you to set the base timing at 15-16* at idle and the curve will be all in by 2500-2600 rpm which works great with most builds.  :yesnod:

If you feel that it needs more base timing requiring less mechanical advance that's easy to do. There are different advance spring options as well to speed up or slow down the rate of advance which as allways is combination dependant. Rest assured you have total control over your ingnition system with a RTR distributor.  :icon_smile_cool:

I'm allways here or a phonecall away if you require any assistance  ;)

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

myk

After my successful install and testing this morning, Firecore gets my vote!
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"