News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

minimum safe distance between leaf springs and tire on stock 68 charger

Started by 68charger440, August 12, 2015, 12:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68charger440

Does anyone know the minimum safe distance between the leaf springs and the tire?  Does the tire flex outward at all during normal driving conditions?
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

HPP

Depends on tire construction, aspect ratio, and usage.  Drag tires deflect more. 60 series deflect more. 40 series deflect less. Drag racing tends to allow tires to grow in circumference. Autocross tends to side load tires.

With all that, I've gotten away with clearances as tight as .25 to the fender lip and the leaf spring without ill effects, but fender lips require careful measuring or rolling the edge to avoid cutting the sidewall.

68charger440

When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

68charger440

Anyone see any problems with the red highlighted choices for front and back?

HPP

265 in a 40 series, you won't have much deflection in the sidewall. You'll be fine out back in width, diameter, and sidewall. The clearance up front will be much tighter. Wheel offset is important.  Others with 17 or 18 inch wheels can chime in with offsets that worked for them, but I'd bet somewhere around 5.5".

cdr

back spacing is measured from the tire mounting surface, not from the outer lip. :Twocents:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

68pplcharger