News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona Clone headlight options

Started by Ryan.C, July 19, 2015, 12:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan.C

I am seriously considering making a Daytona "clone" out of  my '69 Charger. I have never liked the "pop-up" type headlights the factory used on the Daytona/super bird cars. I was wondering if anyone has run a fixed type headlight on the bottom half of the nose cone?
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

DAY CLONA

The "recessed" fixed light set up that some do in the nose is frankly quite ugly, I saw one Daytona years ago that had the headlight doors  and front grille molded in, and a Superbird like opening cut into the lower cone area and the 4 round lights fixed in the opening at each end, actually looked quite cool, I've seen the car a few times at shows and in magazines over the years....I had a pic, but lost it in a computer crash

70 sublime

I think there is one posted on here someplace that has the lights mounted in the holes that they would normally pop up from and the covers that you see when they are closed just drops down instead of up
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Baldwinvette77

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

A383Wing

Made mine work like normal....it was the only option I had at the time we were building the car

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Nwcharger

Quote from: 70 sublime on July 20, 2015, 07:44:13 AM
I found the video of the ones I was thinking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug7XKKGXBtI

That's my old clone. Sold it to a board member last month. Is was a very simple setup that used the factory vacuum pods.
1969 coronet wagon

Ryan.C

I was thinking a set of HID's in the bottom of the nose.

Aero426

Quote from: Ryan.C on July 20, 2015, 12:13:58 PM
I was thinking a set of HID's in the bottom of the nose.

Headlight height aside,  you need those holes for cooling. 

wingcar

Here's how one Superbird owner did it using the turn signal openings.....
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Ryan.C

Quote from: wingcar on July 20, 2015, 01:55:57 PM
Here's how one Superbird owner did it using the turn signal openings.....

Exactly!   :2thumbs:  I love the way that looks.

Thanks much.

Ryan.C

I noticed the headlight doors are not there on this bird. Also the nose to fender seam has been filled in. I think it looks clean that way  :coolgleamA:

Stevearino

These are just running lights I fit into the chin spoiler area on my project. I don't see why you couldn't do something like this with some HID projector lamps.

Ryan.C

Quote from: Stevearino on July 20, 2015, 04:17:13 PM
These are just running lights I fit into the chin spoiler area on my project. I don't see why you couldn't do something like this with some HID projector lamps.

Good point. Thanks for the tip.  :2thumbs: