News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Advice from you all!

Started by Flamdremon, June 23, 2015, 10:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1965gp

Just curious have you ever driven a 9 second car? It's more power than 95% of drivers can make good use of... Myself included. I would buy a 70 Charger needing interior work and paint it black- then put the fake blower/air. Cleaner on it. Drive it and enjoy it. Then save up the $$ to build a serious motor.

Even being a 12 second car it would be serious fun to drive. Also make it more street able. Sounds like you don't have much track experience so you probably want to be able to drive it on the street. No fun having to trailer the car to the track when you just need a fix driving it.

Lennard

I have a feeling that this is just another dreamer... :Twocents:

472 R/T SE

Lots of great points mentioned.

Hard to tinker on something that's built for that.  Let's say there's a miss at 4800-5300 rpm.  Are you gonna rent the track or wait on test-n-tune days if they have them?  And I'd be willing to guarantee you'll have an issue pop up ( minute maybe, but issues ) just about every time you pull it out of the shop.

I agree with starting with baby steps.  By getting into a clean '70, I imagine a base model, you'll be on your way.  Not what you want to hear. 

If it were me, I'd do everything except install a $$ 1k hp motor.  By the time you get this far you should have plenty of excuses for why it's "only" a 11-12 second car.

Remember, 11-12 second cars are still respectable, imo anyway.  I can remember when 14 seconds was the magic number.  If you were faster than that your car usually gained a slice of respect.   :pity:

---

Ah c'mon Lennard.  We're all dreamers.

It took me too many years & cars to finally get my factory plum crazy '70 Charger.  That dream stayed alive after every car purchase that wasn't a purple Charger. 

Lennard

::) You're right, we are all dreamers...  but I've been around here long enough to know what usually happens with these wild plans by newcomers. A lot of people underestimate the work and $$ involved in a project like that and by the questions he is asking here I can tell that he is not experienced with this.
Again, just my  :Twocents:. Time will tell. :2thumbs:  

Challenger340

Making BIG numbers with boost on a stock bottom end is nothing new, I know people who made 2,300 hp out of a V6 back in the 80's !
But,
how long it lives is a completely different story, especially with supposedly "stock" components, little-lown good stuff.

please direct me to the even "2618" Alloy Piston design.... which stock stuff does NOT even come close !...  that will survive over time ?

* Building GRENADES is all fine and dandy, but don't kid yourself, it is what it is..... just realize "what" it is... with the pin pulled !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Flamdremon

I really appreciate all the advice. Could you guys tell me what that car is in the picture  (what parts are what year ex ex.) And maybe how much a charger like that weighs standard aND gutted.with and without motor.

Barfyspitz

It's a 70 charger. One has a fake blower.  Listen to the advice everybody's giving you they know what they're talking about!   these guys are very experienced in this.  I've learned a lot from them! I started restoring/building my car back in 2000 and I finally have it to where I can drive it around on the street without it overheating or stalling out it runs low 8s in the 8th mile. Trust me if you have a decent looking 70 charger that runs good and sounds good people will be so impressed they won't care how fast it is. You probably won't either.  It takes a ton of money just to make a charger reliable and looking good let alone try to make it run in the nines in the quarter mile. Hollywood has created unrealistic expectations from a lot of up-and-coming  gear heads. the only people who have asked how fast my car was were teenagers....all the older guys just talked about the car itself.

Mike DC

QuoteTrust me if you have a decent looking 70 charger that runs good and sounds good people will be so impressed they won't care how fast it is. You probably won't either.  It takes a ton of money just to make a charger reliable and looking good let alone try to make it run in the nines in the quarter mile. Hollywood has created unrealistic expectations from a lot of up-and-coming  gear heads. the only people who have asked how fast my car was were teenagers....all the older guys just talked about the car itself.

This.  

Furthermore, you have to build the car for YOURSELF.  

It doesn't matter what you do with it, lots of people will tell you what you should have done differently.  People see a nice musclecar like a blank canvas for artwork.  Everybody would have painted a little bit different picture on it.  You will hear it from them all.  

Even if you copy something specific, you will hear about it.  If you do a 100% factory stock restoration some people will point out things they mistakenly believe are wrong.  (And some people absolutely will not listen when you try to set them straight.  Even the most stupid basic things like what model-year the car is.)

It's the same with any other specific build.  A replica of a movie car, etc.  You won't please everyone.  And everyone else isn't paying for it.  You are.  So, just worry about pleasing you.  Build it like you are the last man on earth and nobody else will EVER see it.  What do YOU want?  You might not start the project thinking like this, but trust me . . . you will be thinking like this by the end of it.  

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Lennard on June 25, 2015, 12:42:20 AM
::) You're right, we are all dreamers...  but I've been around here long enough to know what usually happens with these wild plans by newcomers. A lot of people underestimate the work and $$ involved in a project like that and by the questions he is asking here I can tell that he is not experienced with this.
Again, just my  :Twocents:. Time will tell. :2thumbs:  

Hey man, whatever floats your boat.   :eyes:

Only my  :Twocents:.   :2thumbs: