News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone here ever powder coat their seat frames?

Started by bull, February 24, 2006, 08:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Seems like it would be a good way to make them last. A good sandblasting followed by powder coating maybe?

THE COLONEL

If you have the money, that would be the way to go.  I love powder coat.  It will last sooooo much longer.
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

Drop Top

I agree. But POR-15 is cheaper and lets face it. It will last longer then you will need it to last. Look how long it lasted without anything on it at all.

bull

Quote from: Drop Top on February 24, 2006, 10:17:30 AM
I agree. But POR-15 is cheaper and lets face it. It will last longer then you will need it to last. Look how long it lasted without anything on it at all.

So sandblast and then POR 15 instead of primer?

charger72

You should be able to get  the frames powder couated pretty cheap. I have stuff done all the time for my business and hardly anything costs me over $100. POR 15 is intended for rust repair work, not general painting.

daytonalo

I POWDERCOAT FOR A LIVING , AND I WONT WASTE MY TIME ON THAT , BLAST THEN RATTLE CAN . I RATHER SPEND MY TIME LOOKING AT MY HEMI !

Starman417

I had my frames sandblasted and powdercoated.  Is it really necessary?  I doubt it, but I'm on good terms with my powdercoater who does stuff quite cheap for me.  Good piece of mind I suppose.
http://www.starman417.net
Instagram - quags69charger

daytonakid

I had mine done when I sent other stuff to powder coater probably cost me 75.00 Smoking deal they look awesome. Bill
Owner East Portland Auto Body www.eastportlandautobody.com

8WHEELER

I don't powder coat the tracks, because all the tracks I have in original condition are not a high
gloss, more of a semi gloss or less. So I blast them and then use a lower gloss just to be correct.
But it does not matter to most anybody either way.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

73chargers4404

does anyone have pictures of a engine powder coated

Silver R/T

supposedly engine block is too thich to powdercoat without special technology
http://www.fostoriaindustries.com/processheat/ch-83-7.htm

as far as seat frames, you could just por15 over rust, as long as you clean them good from debri/dirt.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mridolfo

I had my front and rear frame  acid dipped. Then had them E-coated, primed and painted black.

Silver R/T

Quote from: mridolfo on March 25, 2006, 01:30:46 PM
I had my front and rear frame acid dipped. Then had them E-coated, primed and painted black.

how much that cost you?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

squeakfinder

I sandblasted my seat frames, primered and rattle canned them. The only thing I don't like about it now that there upholstered and in the car is on the front bucket's where they latch to tip forward the paint has chipped off. But I can live with it.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

The Ghoul

Quote from: charger72 on February 24, 2006, 11:56:56 AM
POR 15 is intended for rust repair work, not general painting.
untrue.
It was made for rust repair/prevention, but it is also though as nails and will work as genral paint in areas that see little uv exposure.
You do have to prep it according to there directions to get it to adhear correctly to clean metal but thats only a 2 stage process.
I would not reccomend it on springs because over time it will crack and peel because of the constent flex. Powder coating is the way to go in my mind. I doubt your car will see the kind of abusive conditions is saw in its former life, so I wouldnt go big bucks on it, but if you bring a shop a lot of parts to be done, the price per part drops a bit.