News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which Rear View Mirror is correct for a 69 RT?

Started by Lord Warlock, June 21, 2015, 01:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Warlock

Not that it matters much, one is as good as another, but I'm a bit confused.  My previous two mirrors that I had, which I took off of my car which I've had since 78, and another later production 69 RT that I got for parts around 82 or 83 looked like the one below.  (not my picture, I borrowed it from another thread on the site)

I just bought a replacement from a member here, it has the day night lever that goes left/right instead of forward/backward, it also looks slightly wider than the one I had before.  I found a sale on ebay that had one like this and they say it was available for one year 1970 , but its shaft looks like my old shaft. It had the day night switch like described, the one I just got has the left right switch plus the shaft appears to be flat and thinner...and is also painted black instead of silver.
Since my car was built very very early in the 69 model year...in Sept 1968, which mirror should it have? These things were swapped in an out fairly often back when I got the car, if I saw a piece in a junk yard that looked better than mine, I'd usually buy it and switch it, but now I'm dealing with what I have now, and how correct it should be.  I would think it may have a 68 model year mirror or a 69 mirror.  

Since I'm just using it for a very nice restored driver car, and the glass mirror was broken on one of mine, and the backup had spots where it looked like it was becoming delaminated on the back, would need to be re-silvered, so I couldn't safely use either in the immediate future, the replacement I just got in trade is a very nice piece in very good condition, but I think the side to side day/night switch is gonna nag at me when I drive it I'll constantly see it in front of me.  For now I just took the mirror part off of the base and shaft and attached it to my original base and shaft.  Will keep the newer shaft and base in case I need it later.

Originality isn't a huge deal to me, being correct is however.  Several of the parts on mine aren't original, some were swapped with another charger r/t (short block/trans), some are aftermarket (wheels/tires/master cyl).  I'm proud of the fact that the car is all original sheetmetal and trim, even if it isn't all perfect, it all came on the car to start with, trunk floor however was a repop.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Lennard

I don't know if the mirror in your picture is correct for a '70 Charger but not for a '68 and '69.
The '68 and '69 mirrors are metal and have a silver (aluminum?) lever that swivels left and right for the day and night function. 

ODZKing

I think it may be the same as on my 67. Brushed with the back day/nite button.

Lord Warlock

The mirror I just got looks like a 68 mirror and stem, the one I considered my original had the stem of a 69 but with a mirror with the flap that goes back and forth.  The fact that its correct for 68 would work for me, as mine was assembled in 68.  I wonder when they started using the different mirrors, at the beginning on 69, or halfway through model year when they added the v21, mandatory head rests etc.

An add on question, what color should the charger r/t post and base be?  silver or black?  Silver tends to blend in with other accents in the car like the edge and spokes of the steering wheel and older armrest bases, gauge edges, etc black would be somewhat invisible but it would go with the black stripes and v21.  Either way I'll probably use what I have, now I just need to verify correctness.  Really hate it when at a show and people like to point out flaws.   
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

tan top

I have the 68 style  rear view mirror ,   SPD  22nd November 68
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Lord Warlock

if yours was a 68 style, I should be good, my build date was coded 904 which I understand to be sept 4th 68, the date on the back of the vinyl from the vinyl top was 8/68 so I expect they'd be using some leftover 68 items as they fitted the car.  The new mirror is black, mine's always been silver so I just swapped the mirror with mine, but now its a cross between one and the other.  Maybe I'll paint the new base silver to match and use it to be consistent.