News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

512 Parts List

Started by comet_666, December 30, 2014, 02:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

Quote from: comet_666 on January 04, 2015, 03:11:15 PM
Believe me I am paying attention to the responses here and they are all very much appreciated!
I am just trying to nail down where I want to go with this so I am all over the board a bit  :brickwall:
When I narrow my lists of builds down I will post and see what you guys have to say!

:2thumbs:
KUDO's to you Comet !
Take your time... educate yourself along the way... then later when you make YOUR decision, it will be from a position of CONFIDENCE in attaining what YOU want.

just a suggestion ?
maybe a good starting point would be to sit down, and accurately reflect on "expectations" YOU want in your Car ?
NOT just from a "power" perspective.... as there are trade-offs to everything.
But over the full range of intended uses you have for your car ?

* Fuel grade ? rpm ranges ? How much highway ? City? Idle quality? Power Brakes? Rear Gearing/Tire Diameter ?
and don't forget here....
the SUPPORT systems required on the Car to satisfy your Engine Goals ?
Things like,
* Header & Exhaust System Diameters ?  
* Fuel Delivery system ?(is a 3/8" stock Line and tank pickup sufficient to feed Fuel?)
* How are you going to cool the extra 20% HEAT of the Stroker ?

Just sayĆ­n...
You ARE on the right track, stay on it and you WILL get it right ! :2thumbs:

PS; what did your guy say about the 4.375" Crank..... WITH an "Internal" Oil pickup ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

six-tee-nine

Quote from: comet_666 on January 02, 2015, 02:20:12 PM
Ok, here is another parts list from my builder. Thoughts?

Eagle Comp rotating assembly 21203
Edelbrock rpm Heads
Performance cam brgs.
Edelbrock Intake rpm 7193
Canton Pan 15-950
Canton Pick up 15-951
ARP Main Cap Studs 140-5402
ARP Head Bolts 145-3706
Brass soft Plugs
Felpro Head gasket 1009
Mr Gasket Performance pan gasket
Hyd Roller Cam 723445-10
Comp Pro Magnum Lifter Hyd.Roller 8921-16
ARP SS Intake Bolts
Harland Sharp Roller Rocker arms S70015K
Timing Chain set Roller thrust brg.
Oil pump 63HP Melling Select
Oil Pump Drive Brass gear for roller gear p3690875
Manley3/8 x.08 Pushrods
Milodon Water Pump 16260
Carb QF 780VS
MSD Ready to run Distributor 8387
MSD Wires
MSD Coil
I like this list.
However i would not go with a hydr roller cam. This has to to with the need to bush the lifter bores. There is a topic on here about that subject.
Read it . Choose another type of cam that requires no extra work to your engine block. I'm no cam expert but maybe others can advise you better on that part.  As suggested before go with a Fircore ign system. Ask Ron he'll help you with that. From the money saved on machine work You could have the heads ported wich coud give you some nice additional hp numbers.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

six-tee-nine

BTW I'm bookmarking this topic. Awesome input for my future engine.

EDIT : this is the topic I was referring to in my earlier post about cam types
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,114997.0.html
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

comet_666

Thanks for the help on these guys, I am learning quite a bit and actually having fun trying to get my head wrapped around this! Here is another build I was toying with...

Eagle Comp rotating assembly
Edelbrock rpm Heads
Performance cam brgs.
Edelbrock Intake rpm 7193
COMP Cams 1.5 Pro Magnum Shaft Mount Roller Rocker Arms 1621-16
Comp Cam 245/257@110 .535/.542 lift
ARP Head Bolts 145-3706
Brass soft Plugs
Complete Engine Gasket Kit 112-1000
Sealed Power Hydraulic Lifters HT-2011
ARP SS Intake Bolts
Misc. Plugs brass
Manley3/8 x.08 Pushrods
Milodon Water Pump 16260
Polished Valve Covers SUM440350
Carb QF 780VS
Firecore "RB" Ready To Run Distributor  MRED93871
MSD Wires
FireCore Performance CD R2R Mini Coil  MREFC-CDM

firefighter3931

How much power are you looking to make ?  :scratchchin:

With a std port head the 550hp range is achievable with basic headwork. Above that will require some porting.  :yesnod:

The Indy EZ heads with max wedge intake ports will go well over 600hp and there are some very good intake manifold options that won't compromise hood clearance.

Ron

Ps. If you're looking at Ignition components the Firecore line is excellent quality & value. If you'd like a quote just send me a PM and i'll put something together for you  ;)
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

comet_666

After months of back and fourth on this and TONS of help from you guys  :icon_smile_big:
This build seems to be where I am headed.... not final but getting there
I have a new stock 26 inch radiator,  3.91 gears, 727. This will be driven everywhere and once or twice a year taken to the track. It will run on 93 or above octane gas.

Eagle Comp rotating assembly (512) (unsure which kit, 10.5:1 compression or under is what we are going for, builder knows though)
Edelbrock rpm Heads (Port matched and mild port work)
Harland Sharp Roller Rocker arms S70015K
Carb QF 780VS
Comp Pro Magnum Lifter Hyd.Roller 8921-16 (bushing lifter bores)
OBX Headers 1 7/8
Hyd Roller Cam 723445-10
Firecore "RB" Ready To Run Distributor MRED93871
Edelbrock Performer RPM (Port matched)
Fluid damper - SFI Certified - Chrome Item Number: 200-1023 (440 Source)
Manley3/8 x.08 Pushrods
Carb Fuel line and fittings
Polished Valve Covers SUM440350
ARP Head Bolts 145-3706
Milodon Water Pump 16260 (using stock housing)
MSD Wires
Felpro Head gasket 1009
Oil Brad Penn Break In Oil & Wix Performance Filter
Mr Gasket Performance pan gasket
FireCore Performance CD R2R Mini Coil MREFC-CDM
Performance cam brgs.
ARP SS Intake Bolts
Timing cover - Plain Steel 121-1012 (440 Source)
CNC Aluminum Oil Cap (440 Source)
Filter Style Breather (440 Source)

Thoughts

Challenger340

Challenger340

Eagle Comp rotating assembly (512) (unsure which kit, 10.5:1 compression or under is what we are going fo

If you are still contemplating a 4.375" Stroke Kit, have you confirmed with your Builder, how he plans to address the interference of the 4.375" Crank with the Oil Pickup casting boss in the Block ?

Edelbrock rpm Heads (Port matched and mild port work)
With any Rotating Assembly you select, using Geometry's below 1.7, I would strongly suggest port flows above 280 cfm @ .600" Lift(28") for best results on 3.91 Gears(minimum 28" Diameter rear tire)
Contact Dwayne Porter, or HeyOldGuy on this Site for Porting and actual Flowing, or consider the CNC Super Stealth Head OOTB

Comp Pro Magnum Lifter Hyd.Roller 8921-16 (bushing lifter bores)
I am the guy who gets all poopy pants about sloppy Lifter Bores with Hydraulic Rollers..... that said, and my point being..... is have your guy MEASURE yours !!
Your Block may be fine depending upon how much wear is present at the bottom of the Lifter Bores, and NOT require actual "bushing" which will save you tons $$ !
My only pet peeve about the Lifter Bores, is the manufacturers selling the HR Lifters to the public, as "drop-ins" with NO instructions or guidance as to how much clearance is acceptable ?
Less than .0011" to .0012" Clearance anywhere in the Lifter Bore, (using minimum 15W40 Oil) seems to be about right.
I just default on my own to Bushing the Bores with HR's because I have been stung, but's that's NOT to say YOUR Bores aren't, or wont work adequately ?
HR Lifters = CHECK Lifter Bores CAREFULLY ! is my point !

Hyd Roller Cam 723445-10
Is that a Howards ?
A wee bit small ? NO ? 
236* Intake pattern on a Stroker for the 3.91's ?

Fluid damper - SFI Certified - Chrome Item Number: 200-1023 (440 Source)
Just me.... but not a fan of "fluid" type dampers.  Well priced though, can't argue that

How are you delivering Fuel to the front of the Car ?

comet_666

Challenger340 again, thank you as always for the input!!

I think all 512 kits require Clearance Block for stroke for the oil pickup but I could be wrong. He is doing that for me.

His suggestion on the lifter bores is to thoroughly check them as you say, if they "need it" then bush them. I will probably be running normal oil.

I believe that is a Howards cam yes. I am going to make sure he knows it has 3.91 gears and see if his thoughts change on that.

I am running a 3/8 line with a electric holly blue pump to get fuel to the carb.

comet_666

Will stock cooling be enough?

comet_666

Hopefully this weekend we will be assembling this!!!

fy469rtse

Bush lifter bores , they also benefit from the increase in bore length, it's a must even if they come up reasonable checked
These engines were never designed to have lifters sitting up higher,
I suggest a good look at mock stage to see where the oil groove passes relative to lift ,
Just looked up that cam shaft , I'm with bob on this ,
The benefit with roller is it will behave at idle and have the punch of high lift duration cam , roller allows you to ramp up lift,
Review with your builder, versus what you want out of build , power expected, drivability, etc,
Almost a Chevy grind  :lol:
By the way cars come a long way, very nice  :2thumbs:

Challenger340

Quote from: comet_666 on March 24, 2015, 08:53:47 AM
Hopefully this weekend we will be assembling this!!!

Great News  :2thumbs:
Keep us posted on the results.

Are you Dyno'ing the completed product ?

comet_666

Thanks for the input guys as always !
Just dynoing the engine... His parents have been in and out of the hospital lately so it may be 2 or 3 more weeks on putting this together. I'm really about driveability on this.

comet_666

I am going to be assembling the engine this week hopefully and getting it dyno'd the following week.

i'll keep you posted!

firefighter3931

I Like the build but a few things I would change :

-Carb : a 780 VS is too small for a 500in build...especially with a dual plane intake manifold.

-Cam : a 236@.050 duration stick is very small for a 500in build. It will make peak power at 5000 rpm or slightly less. That grind is at least 10* too small for the displacement.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

comet_666

He has a dozen carbs in different sizes, he said we will go with the one that works best on it so it may be like an 825 or whatever. We may tweak the cam as well, he has dozens to swap out.

mally69

I'd go with a proform 950