News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do you test a starter relay off the car?

Started by bull, December 09, 2005, 11:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Is there a way to test the function of a starter relay when it's off the car. How?

Plumcrazy

Connect the terminal that has the wire that goes to the nuetral safety switch/clutch switch to the battery negative terminal.
Connect the terminal that the yellow wire goes to to the battery positive terminal.

The relay should click and you will have continuity between the two big terminals.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

bull

Ok. Do you know which wire goes where? There's no wires on the unit.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: bull on December 09, 2005, 01:36:55 PM
Ok. Do you know which wire goes where? There's no wires on the unit.

Hold the relay so the large terminals are at the top and middle of the relay.
Feed 12v to the angled terminal in the lower left corner.  Ground the terminal in the lower right corner.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

John_Kunkel

The bakelite cover will have the letter "I" and "G" impressed, "I" is 12V and "G" is ground.

Just because the relay clicks when energized doesn't mean it's good, the contactor inside can still be faulty even though it clicks.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bull

Is there a difference between the starter relays for autos vs. 4 spds?

Chryco Psycho

in 68 Yes ,the G terminal went the the neutral start switch on the tranny , on the 4 spd the G terminal was just grounded to the case of the relay

bull

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 10, 2005, 01:36:46 AM
in 68 Yes ,the G terminal went the the neutral start switch on the tranny , on the 4 spd the G terminal was just grounded to the case of the relay

So the switch is the same it's just the wiring that's different?

John_Kunkel

No, the relays are physically different. On the standard trans version there is no spade terminal, the "G" terminal is soldered to the relay case.

bull

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 11, 2005, 02:46:15 PM
No, the relays are physically different. On the standard trans version there is no spade terminal, the "G" terminal is soldered to the relay case.

Does anyone know where a guy can get a 4spd starter relay? I've found one supplier but I believe they only carry the auto trans relays. Maybe Chrysler still makes them, I don't know.

Nacho-RT74

I think can find it here NOS... since I have to send some stuff to USA probably during this week I can update if I find to you.

I remember have seen them on the deposit of my buddy.

Anyway you still can use auto relays just grounding the G terminal
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

bull

John_Kunkel

NAPA has the correct standard trans relay, their number is SR-5 or SR-6.

bull

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 12, 2005, 04:23:35 PM
NAPA has the correct standard trans relay, their number is SR-5 or SR-6.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

HeavyFuel

Can a starter relay work intermittently?

Sometimes I get nothing from the ignition switch, then if I disconnect the two spades and then reconnect...it works.

I know it seems obvious that the connections are just dirty, but they aren't.     Clean, and tight.   So I'm just wondering about something inside the relay box.

Hard Charger

just install your relay in the car. it will start, or do nothing, or not turn the starter off. you will know quickly what you have.

I have bought several new relays that have not worked correctly.

HeavyFuel

Fixed.   

New relay installed. 

Could also have been a bad ground....relay to firewall.   (maybe this is insignificant, but I made sure I had good contact to bare metal, just in case)