News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

tremec 5 speed installation time and difficulty

Started by 71chargerrtclone, April 02, 2015, 03:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71chargerrtclone

Hello

I have the Tremec and wondered the time and difficulty to install into an automatic car (71 charger)?

Thank You

RallyeMike

That depends on your skill level. Its not a bolt-in, follow the instructions job.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

John_Kunkel

Most of it is bolt-in except the floor patch.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ottawamerc

Ya I'm interested in this as well but I would like to keep the stock slap stik if possible?

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

John_Kunkel

Slap Stick is for automatics, the subject is the Tremec manual 5-speed.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

fy469rtse

just had a quick look at the is it ?  rs 700 5 speed, bolt in ,
no cutting of crossmember , speedo cable is a bit of an issue ,and then not if you have a console to hide cable
or a right angle adapter to fit stock cable up to it, and run under the floor like stock
have a search for that one ,
made by the people that took over keislers

ottawamerc

This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

werner

Hardest parts for me was the pedal install under the dash, was 90 degrees out. The rest is straight forward. Directions are pretty straight forward. Will need a small dial indicator to check the run out on Bell housing before bolting trans up. Takes a bit of monkeying around. Mine was ok, no adjustment necessary

Hyd clutch is way to go as well, good up grade and gives you lots of clearance around headers, trans etc.
1969 dodeg charger, 528 hemi ,Tko 5spd.

frank1966

Just to confirm there are no 5 speed autos that can swap in?
I have a feeling I will be doing this. I have not had the chance yet to drive the 727, i don't know how it feels, i never had an auto muscle car before.

1974dodgecharger

whats wrong with passon 5 speed? direct drop in for manuals......unless you are converting from auto to manual even then the passon setup has a kit.

werner

Manual s so much fun to drive especially with Pistol grip.
Plus over drive is just a bonus to boot
1969 dodeg charger, 528 hemi ,Tko 5spd.

Troy

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on April 12, 2015, 12:25:02 AM
whats wrong with passon 5 speed? direct drop in for manuals......unless you are converting from auto to manual even then the passon setup has a kit.
Only issue that I can see is that if you ordered one today it would be a year or two before you actually get it. (I haven't been keeping up with the backlog so it may be sooner or later.) However, they do also make an OD 4-speed which is typically in stock. Having said that, both of these use factory parts which can be expensive. Most everything for a Tremec swap is custom (which may also be expensive). A small block bell housing for a Tremec is readily available. The big block version will cost more. If you have an automatic with a console the Tremec will be easier to fit because it's a top loader and the shifter will exit the floor in the same location as the auto. Mopar 4-speeds (and replacements) mount the shifter on the side which requires a "hump" in the floor, a special shifter, and a different console (but not nearly as bad to fit on a 71 as a 68-70). The Tremec requires cutting/fitting of the floor and transmission crossmember as well as a custom mount. You'll need a pedal of course - but that's easily added. If you use a hydraulic clutch you won't need to find/install the z-bar, bracket, and linkages. You'll need to do something about a drive shaft for the Tremec. You'll need a special flywheel and the correct clutch disc for the Tremec splines.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

71chargerrtclone

Silver Sport is shipping the Tremec transmission and all need components within a week. The drive shafts ships a week after you provide some information to SST.