News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

question about TX9 cars??

Started by DoubleDlover, April 30, 2015, 01:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleDlover

I was talking to my friend the other day. We asked me about the TX9 cars because I watched that fired up garage about the black cuda. On the show they talked about how hard it was to get black cars. I had been told many times that indeed they were hard to get. They had people hand pic cars on the line that were strait enough to paint black. Yada yada.... Is any of that true? Or all bs wives tails. and they would just paint any car black they didn't care at all?? r

Charger-Bodie

I scratched my head a little when I heard that too. When I watched fired up. Its possible , but logic tells me they didnt care that much.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

HPP

If you did that, then the assembly line process is handicapped in it ability to move product down the line for assembly in its prescribed time sequence.

That's a big negative.

They also said a '71 340 3 speed Cuda is the holy grail of mopardom. I think any number of guys here would argue that "fact" as well.

Alaskan_TA

Codes were assigned well before the bodies were built.

Troy

Black cars were not rare because they were harder to produce. People just didn't order them! Same with red and some blues. Basically, the colors people desire today weren't all that popular in the "earth tone" loving 60s. I think only about 2.5% of 68 Chargers were black (don't know the other years but it's similar). Something like 40% were some shade of green and about that many were gold/tan/light yellow. Of the 68 Chargers I've owned, 2 were gold, 1 green, 1 bronze, 1 blue, and 1 black.

A painter today may tell you the metal needs to be straighter for black (usually because they're trying to get more money in their pocket) but, back then, quality wasn't exactly a high priority (production was) and they painted the body whatever the tag told them to.

I can't stand "reality" TV and it seems that most of the "experts" in that realm are typically blowing smoke. Good for a conversation starter - bad for trying to look intelligent. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69 OUR/TEA

Another "staged" show , like how he had the new windshield and tripped over a bucket and smashed it ? Really ? Then storms off yelling ? NTM , that cuda deserves a full blown OEM resto , not resto mod , do that to a 318 car .

DoubleDlover

ok thanks everyone for getting me the correct info. All this time I thought black cars were special. But now I know they were not treated any different at the plant. ron

Cncguy

Remember about a decade earlier Black was one of the only colors you could get on a car. I'm sure people were pretty tired of it.

HPP

more like 5 decades earlier and eventually even they relented to allowing colors albeit in mostly earth tones.