News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

RIP James Best

Started by Cncguy, April 07, 2015, 10:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cncguy

James Best known as Rosco P Coltrane died last night at 88

mopar0166

Great Guy, lived life well and will be missed. 

An incredible person in real life and am blessed I was am to get to know him.   cheers

keith88

Great loss he will be missed
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

bristol

Sad to hear that. I got a handshake from him at Dukefest when I was 10 or 11 years old and still haven't stopped bragging to my friends about it.

DixieRestoParts

Gunner on a B-17 in WWII and an MP. He rose several levels in my book on that. RIP Mr. Best.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

wingcar

It's kind of sad that most everyone remembers him only for his part as Roscoe on the "Dukes of Hazzard".  His career was so much more, and he seemed to do everything with real energy and love.  But, having said that I am sure he really wouldn't mind if he is best remembered as Roscoe.   He may not have ever caught the Duke Boys, but he kept them on their toes.....

Thank you Mr. Best for giving us some truly memorable characters throughout the years....
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

F8-4life

Cncguy

Quote from: wingcar on April 07, 2015, 11:17:49 AM
It's kind of sad that most everyone remembers him only for his part as Roscoe on the "Dukes of Hazzard".  His career was so much more, and he seemed to do everything with real energy and love.  But, having said that I am sure he really wouldn't mind if he is best remembered as Roscoe.   He may not have ever caught the Duke Boys, but he kept them on their toes.....

Thank you Mr. Best for giving us some truly memorable characters throughout the years....

Also a very good painter.

polywideblock

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

VegasCharger

Quote from: wingcar on April 07, 2015, 11:17:49 AM
It's kind of sad that most everyone remembers him only for his part as Roscoe on the "Dukes of Hazzard".  His career was so much more, and he seemed to do everything with real energy and love.  But, having said that I am sure he really wouldn't mind if he is best remembered as Roscoe.   He may not have ever caught the Duke Boys, but he kept them on their toes.....

Yes Indeed, most will remember him as Roscoe P. Coltrane. This is strange timing, does anyone know of the 1974 film "Savages" with Andy Griffith? James Best has a role in this film and I remember seeing when I was a young teenager. I barely remember the story. So I've been searching like crazy to find this rare movie and finally found it on-line. I recently just had purchased it, but it is still in the shipping process. I bought this movie strictly for James Best's role only. Can't wait to see it. Wish he was still around by the time I got to watch the movie.

I am glad I got to meet him in person at a car show in Akron, OH in 2003. Got an autographed photo, glad I did.

Here's a Yahoo link remembering James Best:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/james-best-dead-dukes-of-hazzard-obit-115764935045.html

R.I.P. James Best :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

marshallfry01

Very sad news. I got his autograph on my glove box door October before last down in Ennis, TX. He sat there and talked to me for 10 minutes. Very nice guy! RIP
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

MxRacer855

69rtse4spd

R.I.P. also sad to hear about it today.

69wannabe

RIP Mr Best!! I know you will be waiting on them duke boys on the other side!!  ;)

patcharger

Sad News R.i.P Mr Best :(
69 charger G-Lee

Piper

was watching an episode of Bat Masterson recently and he was the bad turned good guy, he was in a lot of good movies and tv shows.

I seen in a documentary he said he was Irish...I'll fire up the pipes and play a Danny boy for him tomorrow in his honor.

Moparman01

As a General Lee owner and life long Dukes fan, it was very sad hearing the news the James Best aka Roscoe P. Coltrane had passed away. I've met some of the cast of the Dukes here and there but never got to meet James. I've seen him at Carlisle a few times, he really seemed to embrace the Roscoe character even tho he's done so much more. I know there are many folks in the Mopar hobby that despise the Dukes and General Lee, but there is a whole generation of die hard Mopar fanatics today that might not exist had it not been for the Dukes, it's where my love of Mopars came from! Anyways, I had to go out and give the Dixie horn a toot in Roscoes honor, he will be missed!!

skip68

Very sad indeed.   I watch old westerns every night when I go to bed.   I basically fall asleep every night to the western channel and have for years.  I can't tell you how many old westerns he's in.   He lived a full life and will be missed by many for sure.     
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Stegs

very sad.

Being a huge Dukes fan, he will be missed by thousands, if not millions

RIP Rosco!

lukedukem

Quote from: DixieRestoParts on April 07, 2015, 11:13:45 AM
Gunner on a B-17 in WWII and an MP. He rose several levels in my book on that. RIP Mr. Best.

hopefully you can see him in his last movie along with Hugh O'Brien and Clifton James. in which Three elderly veterans embark on one last road trip to visit the National World War II Memorial in Washington DC, against the wishes of their concerned families. all three of the guys that were cast were actually in the war, which was cool.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3190044/
http://www.old-soldiers-movie.com/About-The-Cast.html

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

kokxville

I was Lucky enough to shake his hand at Carlisle in 2010 and we've had a small talk.
Like many of us,me too grew up when the dukes of hazzard was on tv and i just couldn't get enough of it.James Best was one of my heroes when i was a kid,and it was a honor to meet him in real life.I will never forget that day.
He will be missed.

Rest in piece brother  :angelwing:
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

UH60L

Very sad.   :'(

I had the pleasure of meeting him when he and Sonny Shroyer (Enos) came to Salem Oregon for the Roadster Show.  Someone had a General Lee on display and Rosco and Enos were in full costume and were signing autographs and selling pictures.

They were both really nice, friendly, not pushy or trying to move the line along.  They were willing to BS with everyone in line and tell stories and seemed to have as much fun as the crowd did.  Not like a lot of the big shot hollywood stars...

When I told James that I had my '69 Charger with the Dixie horn out in the parking lot, he got excited and said "ohh, hold onto that, they're worth quite a bit of money these days".  Then he told me to rev it up and hit the horn when I left so they could hear it inside.  That pretty much made my day, meeting them and having Rosco tell me to do that!

Wishing you many hot pursuits, Rosco, cuff-em and stuff-em...