News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Advise needed on a 727 build

Started by garner7555, February 26, 2015, 12:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garner7555

I am going to go back to a auto in my charger and I need advise on the tranny build and torque converter.
My engine is a 440, mild build, 9 - 9.5 compression ratio, mopar cam .484 / 284 (listed below) rpm intake, quick fuel 750 double pumper, 323 rear gears and 28" street tires.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4120235ae/overview/

In this post the PTC converter was suggested for a car with the same cam as me.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9am26b9cdpjf2jgjs2crltfdr3&topic=98636.25

My neighbor has this convertor still in the box (never used) that I could probably buy cheap.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-10415

Out of these, or any other, which convertor should I use?

Also, which shift kit should I use?

It is a street car but I like to drive it hard.  Thanks guys.   :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

fy469rtse

ignore that cam shaft , go a good dual pattern cam , those purple shafts are old school ,
need to know engine details , ? , i'm sure that more will reply with cam recomdations
trans go shift kit stage 2

Kern Dog

I'd advise you to take this advice:
The cam is fine. I ran that cam in a similar build and it made great power. Some people think that because the MP cams are old tech that newer stuff is better. The MP line of cams made great power with mild lifts to retain the stock stamped steel non adjustable rocker arms. The do have some rough idle characteristics but I like that. I didn't see the size of that converter you listed, but a 440 like this needs no bigger than an 11" converter.

BSB67

You have headers?  If yes, and you already have the cam, use it, and if you don't have the cam, consider something recommended by a professional.

If no headers, you really need a different cam.

Converters, you get what you pay for, don't skimp. :Twocents:

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

garner7555

The cam is in the engine,  engine has been "run in" but really doesn't have any miles yet.  I do plan to keep the cam for now.  I used my 906 heads that I "smoothed up" the ports a little, so if I put aluminium heads on in the future then I will consider a cam swap at that time.  I do have headers, forgot to mention that.   Thanks for the help guys. :2thumbs:  Keep the advice coming.  :yesnod:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

StockMan

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 27, 2015, 12:21:27 AM
I'd advise you to take this advice:
The cam is fine. I ran that cam in a similar build and it made great power. Some people think that because the MP cams are old tech that newer stuff is better. The MP line of cams made great power with mild lifts to retain the stock stamped steel non adjustable rocker arms. The do have some rough idle characteristics but I like that. I didn't see the size of that converter you listed, but a 440 like this needs no bigger than an 11" converter.

I agree, I installed the factory magnum cam and am totally impressed.  Very mellow idle, lots of tire melting torque.
I have a completely stock 440 magnum, original bore/pistons so around 10:1 they say.
I run the factory road runner torque converter (2650 behind a 383 I believe) and I would like a touch more stall personally.
The larger converter I think was 1800 stall or so.

Its goes without saying really, but its a good idea to degree the cam as well, for piece of mind.  
Lots have said they've had issues with them off a bit, even upto 3-4 degrees, although I didn't have this issue.

garner7555

Thanks for the advice.  Hopefully I will start this build soon.  Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated!    :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Calif240

Might want to try calling A&A trans in Camby, IN (just outside Indy). Great knowledge and service for me. Super good trans.
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

StockMan

Just curious, how does the car perform?

garner7555

Car is disassembled to paint right now.  Engine has been run enough to "run in" the cam but that's about it.  I have already rebuilt the rear end so the only drive-train that isn't ready is the tranny.  Wanted to start the tranny build now so that it's ready after paint.   :yesnod: 

As far as performance goes, my build is similar to the one I posted a link to above.  (I'm not expecting to run 11s, or even 12s, for that matter.  haha)
69 Charger 440 resto-mod