News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 CHARGER auto to manual what newer 5 speeds will work maybe a dakota

Started by fatstanley, February 17, 2015, 09:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatstanley

will a Dakota truck work of full size I also have a4 speed from a 383 charger but no small block bellhousing

A383Wing

The Dakota AX-15 5 speed trans is found on the I4 & V6 engines.....the NV3500 was behind the V8 engines....they should bolt up, but other fabrications may be involved

toocheaptosmoke

Around 2000 or so I think they started putting the nv3500 in the dakotas w/ both the v6 or v8.  The half ton trucks may come with the low first gear, you probably don't want that.  The newer NV3500's don't have a provision for a cable operated speedometer.  You will need to make a custom tranny crossmember and a fairly long custom driveshaft.  Firewall and hump clearance is tight.  A hydraulic clutch system will need adapted to work. 

John_Kunkel

Welcome to the board fatstanley .

Most truck 5-speeds are too bulky to be used in a passenger cars. The less bulky ones won't handle the torque of a 383.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Cooter

I gotta mustang GT T56 behind a 440.

Helluva cruiser, but don't lean on it.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Troy

An NV3500 would probably be fine behind a 318 but won't likely last long behind a 440. They are large and will require cutting up your floor pan. As mentioned, some have a granny gear and will suck in a Charger. The Mustang transmission is cheaper, a much easier fit and, I believe, handles a bit more power. You can pick up a "conversion" bell housing for a small block fairly easily. Honestly though, a 23 spline with 3.23 gears would be fine too. Much simpler than trying to fit a any 5-speed because all the factory parts work. If you really need OD the later 23 spline OD will drop right in (just need a "flipped" shifter rod).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.