News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So what goes here??

Started by green69rt, February 21, 2015, 04:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

I'm hanging the fenders on my car.  Bought a bolt kit (I think from Hoover, included some extra pieces.)  Most I can figure out but a couple are uncertain. 

First pic shows where the lower fender bolts to the rocker, still need to finish the holes.
Second pic shows the piece of the old fender, it looks like there is a u-bolt with a stud screwed in.  Then I think it takes a nut with 1" captive washer.  Can anybody confirm??
Third pic shows the cowl and two places where the fender attaches.  The inboard stud is shown in the FSM ( and I show the hardware installed.)  the outboard hole is empty and after staring at the FSM till I went cross eyed, I cannot see any reference to the fastener.  Anybody got a clue??

bill440rt

OK, I've give this a whirl.

1st pic: Yes, there should be a U-clip installed in the rocker, and then studs screwed into the clips. Fender attaches at the bottom with nuts onto the threaded studs.
3rd pic: The nut with the stud at the cowl is correct. The outer hole (by the door) is attached by another stud screwed into the FENDER. The fender gets attached by putting the stud into that hole and then by a nut from underneath. The nut is installed by reaching in thru the wheel opening and upwards to that stud.

Hope that is described OK.  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger-Bodie

And be really careful with the stud at the back that's visible with the hood open , very common for the hood to catch on that stud if it at all too long.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

green69rt

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on February 21, 2015, 06:29:51 PM
And be really careful with the stud at the back that's visible with the hood open , very common for the hood to catch on that stud if it at all too long.

Yeah, I'm kind of thinking I'll need to cut that stud down a little.  Isn't there a bumper that goes in the hole next to the stud??

bill440rt

The bumper goes on a tab on the fender.
Hope this pic helps you, closest one I had on file at the moment.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger-Bodie

When the hood would catch on the stud is right when the hood starts to open. It can catch right on the back edge.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

green69rt

Looking at bill440rt's pic, the stud should only stick above the nut for a thread or two, no more.

Nice hinges, billet with gas assist!!

green69rt

Wait, now I see that there is another piece that holds the bumper.  Now the search begins.  I need to look thru my old pics to see if I ever had them!

Charger-Bodie

The piece that holds the bumper is weded to the fender. Unless someone remove yours or something.

green69rt

The fenders that I got from AMD did NOT have those pieces. 

Charger-Bodie

I would talk to whoever you got them from because I've used a few sets of AMD fenders now and they all came with.

green69rt

I guess I should should check my facts before I shoot my mouth off.  Just went out and looked at the fenders, not the fender to cowl brackets.  The bumper stand offs are there. 

oldcarnut

Here's what currently on mine on the bottom

green69rt

Quote from: oldcarnut on February 26, 2015, 01:18:16 AM

I think that's what the FSM shows, U-nuts, studs with nuts/captive washers on the other ends.  Sometimes spacers to get the fender alignment correct.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: green69rt on February 26, 2015, 08:47:13 AM
Quote from: oldcarnut on February 26, 2015, 01:18:16 AM

I think that's what the FSM shows, U-nuts, studs with nuts/captive washers on the other ends.  Sometimes spaces to get the fender alignment correct.

Exactly.

Shakey

Quote from: green69rt on February 22, 2015, 06:23:54 PM
Looking at bill440rt's pic,

Nice hinges, billet with gas assist!!

I know - wicked!  I've never noticed those before - very cool.   :yesnod: