News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Proforged pitman and idler arms ???

Started by Highbanked Hauler, February 13, 2015, 01:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

anybody use the fast ratio set from Summit ? I thought there was a post about them on here but I can't find it..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

fy469rtse

Yes was probably me,
Good alternative to the over priced firm feel ones
Good product, I'm happy with em ,
Couple of things to check first,
You need enough clearance room to headers, at least 2 1/4 more to clear headers, so if you have a set that goes over and clears your steering arms , drag link etc
You have to watch tyre clearance as well on lock , I have 235 60 mickey Thompson on 7" rims on front , even dish and they touch rub on full lock just slightly to the chassis rail rear area,
More dish outer would probably fix this

fy469rtse

I've just ordered there adjustable strut rods, from firm feel I mean
This will enable me to get the four wheel alignment correct, also position the bottom arms , will be able to pull these positively forward to induce more positive caster,
I will post later on this and results,
Doing the next step because not happy with the way front feels and not enough positive caster

Highbanked Hauler

Thanks for the reply,   Firm feel's set lists both 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 size pitman arms ..  Summit just says same steering ratio as the T/A and AAR cars so I am "ASSUMING"  they are for the early 1 1/8 sector shaft which mine is.
  I don't know if you will get the desired results with the adjustable strut rods that you are looking for as the L.C.A. is pretty firm when bolted in place. I am going  with F.F. upper C.A. as they say that they are good for about 4 degree positive caster which is tolerable for our cars. :cheers:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

fy469rtse

I've just put in those strut rods ,
I don't think I'm going to do anymore than use these to 4 wheel alignment,
They stop bottom arms dragging backwards, positive feel
Going to add either moog rubber offset bushes, or the urethane ones made over here, to top arms
I think you should adjust caster where it was designed to done, top arms

70-500-SE-EXPORT

I bought the proforged standard ratio pitman arm.. it was junk.. the end that is supposed to be a pivoting bearing was a solid bushing that did not move. So once bolted up and the large thru bolt was tightened down the arm was locked solid in place and the steering would not turn. Sent the POS back.
68 Charger original SS1 paint with matching # 383hp