News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A real GL for sale?

Started by Dreamcar, March 04, 2015, 07:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

I'd like to get GL#10's opinion on this.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Ghoste

I'd like to know the location for these Hemi cars that are being sold for less than this one is going to bring.

Cooter

Quote from: marshallfry01 on March 04, 2015, 09:31:52 PM
How do they think that is a real lee?? They said original paint and graphics. That is no where near the original graphics!! I don't understand people! If you're gonna try to pass off a beat replica as a series used general, at least make it look like one!  :slap:

Plenty of real GL's had stupid crazy "off" looking graphics. Unlike turbine above and his harness with butthurt and all, if one actually watched the show, all episodes, one would clearly see not all GL's had the 'normal' "01" graphics the average person is used to seeing. That's not to say this one is real, but certainly not gonna write it off as fake based on graphics alone.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Brock Lee

This is the car built by one of Bob Shelley's guys in Atlanta. It was not built by any of the original crew. Don Schisler did help out and provided some spare parts he had kicking around to complete it (misc Charger parts, a pushbar that has the hooked legs like the Elm street car, a fake rollbar painted gold, and some heavier leaf springs that were supposed to be special in some way), supposedly gave the paint code for it (the paint is so oxidized, I can't tell if it was right), and set the guy up with the painter for the graphics. So there is affiliation, but not built by. The graphics have been done more than once.

What I don't get is there is claims it was on the set..it appeared to have been built in 79-80? Sling car? Special seat? It had stock seats, no markings on the cluster (still have shots of it as it was a year ago)..hmmmm.

Ghoste

So basically, it was built by someone who worked for the people building the cars for his own use and it was never filmed?

Brock Lee

Sorta..the guy didn't even work for the people building the cars for the show. They just were colleagues in a sense. Never filmed. It was built after the show had already began airing.

Mike DC

I've got '69 Charger that has worn the GL uniform since the early 1980s.  

If I install a few small screen-used GL parts onto it, then haven't I brought it just about as close to the real thing as this one?    

I've got a correct paint code.  My car was a factory-tan interior too.  I've even got cast & crew signatures on some of my GL parts.  

This car in the ad is an old replica with some interesting tidbits.  Calling it "the long lost #6 Georgia GL from filming" is a load of bull.

Over the decades a lot of GL replicas have acquired some kind of "tidbit" of backstory or official parts.

Ghoste

True enough Mike, for all the discussion on what the real number is that were wrecked for the show, I wonder how many "survivors" have been created to offset that?  (not replicas, alleged survivors are what I'm talking about)

jaak

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 05, 2015, 09:09:44 AM
I've got '69 Charger that has worn the GL uniform since the early 1980s.  

If I install a few small screen-used GL parts onto it, then haven't I brought it just about as close to the real thing as this one?    

I've got a correct paint code.  My car was a factory-tan interior too.  I've even got cast & crew signatures on some of my GL parts.  

This car in the ad is an old replica with some interesting tidbits.  Calling it "the long lost #6 Georgia GL from filming" is a load of bull.

Over the decades a lot of GL replicas have acquired some kind of "tidbit" of backstory or official parts.

True. Everyone tries to tie a replica to the show in hopes of making it worth more.

I love Alabama Football. If Armari Cooper's friend/family member has a #9 jersey that he/she wore to a game.... Does that make it a 'game worn' jersey? You can make it sound like it is, but in actuality, it has absolutely nothing to do with an Alabama football game.

Jason

Brock Lee

Quote from: jaak on March 05, 2015, 09:48:51 AM

True. Everyone tries to tie a replica to the show in hopes of making it worth more.

Yup. Even when they are not selling them. "Hey, Bo Duke drove my car and farted in the seat! It is now pretty much a real GL!".

Dreamcar

Quote from: Brock Lee on March 05, 2015, 09:52:22 AM
Quote from: jaak on March 05, 2015, 09:48:51 AM

Yup. Even when they are not selling them. "Hey, Bo Duke drove my car and farted in the seat! It is now pretty much a real GL!".

:rofl:
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

JR

I dunno if its authentic or not, but im so burned out with general lees I would absolutely love to see this "authentic" one restored literally any other way. I wonder how often authentic (or even replica) General Lees get deconverted?
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

TUFCAT

Is there a General Lee registry?  I know someone mentioned that before.

Dino

Quote from: JR on March 05, 2015, 01:45:14 PM
I dunno if its authentic or not, but im so burned out with general lees I would absolutely love to see this "authentic" one restored literally any other way. I wonder how often authentic (or even replica) General Lees get deconverted?

I sometimes fantasize about buying a GL just to convert it to something else...but I'll just stick with my heap.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Brock Lee

I would have LOVED to put this one back to stock. It was originally Y4 gold (still had visible original paint on most parts). It was just too rusty for me. Somebody did some work to get it to this stage. It was so bad the driver side rear frame rail was actually missing about a foot. It had angle iron supporting the spring. I know there will be a lot more rust to be dealt with on those body panels.

Dreamcar

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 05, 2015, 02:08:41 PM
Is there a General Lee registry?  I know someone mentioned that before.

GL#10 has a website under construction. He's a nice guy.

realgenerallee.com

Mike DC

QuoteI dunno if its authentic or not, but im so burned out with general lees I would absolutely love to see this "authentic" one restored literally any other way.

I understand the feeling.  Even a lot of GL fans agree it has been overdone.

But what can you do?  When certain look is really popular it inevitably gets overdone.  It doesn't mean each individual has any less right to want it that way.  It's what happens with popular cars.  There are too many red '69 Camaro Z-28s.  Too many red 1970 Chevelle SSs.  Too many 68 Chargers end up as triple-black RTs.  Too many nice survivor Satellites get RR & GTX conversions.  

QuoteI wonder how often authentic (or even replica) General Lees get deconverted?

Replicas get de-converted sometimes.  Its nothing too unusual.

De-converting real TV-series GLs?  Never.  
People also don't turn a real factory Hemi Challenger into a 340 just because they would rather have a T/A.

The screen-used GLs are mostly unrestored $8000 pieces of crap.  Their rare history makes them worth 10x that much.   They aren't project cars or cruisers, they are oddball relics to be preserved in as-is condition and shown occasionally.  

69wannabe

Mine got deconverted a few years back but it still wear's the hemi-orange paint. I wanted to paint it black actually but the body work had dragged on for almost two years and painting the jam's, under the trunk lid and under the hood were going to stretch it out even longer so I decided in order to speed up the process to keep it orange so I didn't get very far away from the old general lee look!! ;D

myk

Quote from: 69wannabe on March 05, 2015, 09:08:55 PM

Mine got deconverted a few years back but it still wear's the hemi-orange paint. I wanted to paint it black actually but the body work had dragged on for almost two years and painting the jam's, under the trunk lid and under the hood were going to stretch it out even longer so I decided in order to speed up the process to keep it orange so I didn't get very far away from the old general lee look!! ;D

Why did the body work drag on for so long?

Dreamcar

So I asked the sellers and they responded that the original owner was a member of the Bob Shelly Stunt Team.

Ghoste

Never heard of them, were they associated with DOH?

69wannabe

Quote from: myk on March 05, 2015, 10:33:53 PM

I had a friend doing the body work and we cut both quarter's, trunk floors, and had to repair the rear taillight panel and replace the valence and end caps. Also replaced both inner wheel well's too. Poor car had alot of rust issues in the back of the car and I wasn't paying for the work and we only worked on it one and maybe two days a week so the progress was slow but it finally came out pretty good. Since he was helping me with my car for free I couldn't complain about how long it was taking and he done a great job so I just had to wait and it was well worth the wait for me!!!!

myk

Quote from: 69wannabe on March 06, 2015, 08:47:59 PM
Quote from: myk on March 05, 2015, 10:33:53 PM

I had a friend doing the body work and we cut both quarter's, trunk floors, and had to repair the rear taillight panel and replace the valence and end caps. Also replaced both inner wheel well's too. Poor car had alot of rust issues in the back of the car and I wasn't paying for the work and we only worked on it one and maybe two days a week so the progress was slow but it finally came out pretty good. Since he was helping me with my car for free I couldn't complain about how long it was taking and he done a great job so I just had to wait and it was well worth the wait for me!!!!

I hear ya.  Man I tell you, the back ends of these cars sure look great but they're the Achille's heel of the entire car...