News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

side marker lights?

Started by dodgepaul1969, January 31, 2015, 05:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidcam69

I know your car. "High Anxiety"

dodgepaul1969

This was her years ago. I bought it in the late 90's and raced it as is, 440 w 2stage kit, until too much Nitrous hurt the motor. It was basically a survivor never restored car with go fast stuff on it.Then it was time for something a lil different. I love our Chargers and bbodies but they cant all be restored back to stock can they? When I was a kid in the late 60's and 70's the baddest cars were all modified somewhat. It's took along time coming up with the right scheme and the right body shop to paint it. That in itself was a project. Lots of spray outs of different candy colors and different lace, different colors and different "schemes" The 68-69 Charger is in my opinion the best looking car ever designed, but doesn't have the curves of an ebody that lend themselves to wild schemes like Bannings Challenger. So to find a scheme that worked on the body was tough to put it lightly. Landy's car turned out to be the best for what I wanted to do. With the different stripes and sort of having "panels" it allowed plenty of places to do different things with the lace, stripes and the whole balance of the design. I learned allot and the paint guys learned allot. It's getting a 572 Indy Hemi. pump gas 800+ horse all motor, mostly stock interior with full door panels, full stock dash, full glass, like a street machine or super stock car most likely would have in the era. It has a cage cert'd to 8.50, 4.10 dana 60/spool, Alter-k-tion front suspension 4 wheel disc, old school mags and all steel body and bumpers except for the hood w/Hemi scoop. Basically the car is pretty well balanced, I think anyways, with a lil new tech but mostly with the time period-ish stuff and look, like my childhood going to the track and watching the funny cars and weekend warriors at the drags in the 70's.
1970 4-spd Superbird, '69 Charger 500 Daytona clone,2015 Hellcat 6-spd B-5 Blue,1968 572 Hemi Charger,70 GTX 535 6-pac 4 spd,69 GTX 440 4-spd Super Trac Pac Car,70 Coronet 500 "bee clone",70 383 4-spd Road Runner, 1973 383 Barracuda, and a couple Cummins and old school power wagons. All Mopar land over this a way

dodgepaul1969

Hey yep, that Charger was next to mine getting painted. Your A/C car gave me the idea to go with the green glass. Your Charger is beautiful. Is it home yet?
1970 4-spd Superbird, '69 Charger 500 Daytona clone,2015 Hellcat 6-spd B-5 Blue,1968 572 Hemi Charger,70 GTX 535 6-pac 4 spd,69 GTX 440 4-spd Super Trac Pac Car,70 Coronet 500 "bee clone",70 383 4-spd Road Runner, 1973 383 Barracuda, and a couple Cummins and old school power wagons. All Mopar land over this a way

davidcam69

It's back at Jeffs. Had a little paint issue. My dad ordered that car with tint glass. No ac.

dodgepaul1969

Oh that's right I forgot, Jeff mentioned that. Nice to "meet ya" finally. I've known your car for awhile watching it being painted next to mine. I hope to have it at the Farmington MN show in late May, have you ever been to it? any chance you'll be there as well?

davidcam69

I haven't been there. I'm going to try to make it. I doubt my car will be finished. Hope to see you and your car there.

dodgepaul1969

It'll be close for me, as you know lots to do putting it back together, so many pieces, parts and fasteners. I've been making slow but steady progress since gettin her home. Good luck and keep in touch. Lookin forward to seeing yours when it's done as well. I'm in central Iowa around Ames? where are you from ?

davidcam69

Same here. Your car isn't your run of the mill Charger. Look forward to seeing the whole package. Nice chatting with you. 

davidcam69

Fort Madison, south east Iowa.

MxRacer855

Quote from: dodgepaul1969 on February 04, 2015, 11:38:19 PM
interesting thoughts. actually I think it looks like broken tempered glass. The lace was the hardest thing to find, picking the colors was a huge project as well, but without the randomness in this pattern, it didn't have the same effect. we tried a bunch of different patterns and were happily surprised when the one the daughter liked proved to be perfect. Lots of time at fabric stores hanging with the ladies looking for just the right stuff. Lots of funny looks as I told them what I was looking for, when they asked if they could help me find anything. You can see a pattern in the bigger pic, but it's a random as I could find. some of these pics are obviously before sanding.  I hope to have the car at Mopars in the Park in late May

Cool!!  :2thumbs:  :cheers:

TPR

Quote from: dodgepaul1969 on February 05, 2015, 05:39:18 PM
The car isn't done yet and I've been trying to hold off showing off the whole thing. With the web these days I don't want to see my car before I get it done, if you catch my meaning. It's a combination of Bob Bannings Challenger Funny Car, Dick Landy's '68 Charger Super Stock and a lil Imperial Kustoms charger. Lots of silver, greens, candy and lace. I started building this car Feb 2011, it's been a slow process. I'll get another pic or two up to keep you entertained :-)

I cannot wait to see the whole thing. I love that Imperial Kustoms Charger.
Great work.
:popcrn:
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

dodgepaul1969

Thanks for the support, passion and excitement. I can't wait either!!! Got my stainless back today, the original stuff polished up really nicely. I compared it to the new stainless on my '69 GTX and am very happy with it. I have heard folks say that if you save the original and polish it up you'll be better off by far. I'd have to say I'd agree, the new stuff looks deeper to me. Which makes sense because it's thicker and one would expect a better quality metal from the factory back then to the pieces made overseas (I assume) today. I did somehow between shops lose the stainless piece the goes on the drivers door at the base of the window, belt molding is it called? Anyone have one of these laying around, nice shape that could be polished up? I'll look at the for sale ads.
My next question for folks would be how to get the "pin" out of the bottom of the vent window stud to remove the glass from the frame? I assumed it was a rollpin, but when I started dis-assembly I found I was wrong

bull

It's not a roll pin? Pretty sure they are, at least that's what I put back in mine. Get some pliars on the pins and work them out gently. Maybe soak them with a dab of penetrating oil first. Just remove the upper pivot assembly, the lower clamp screw and then work the roll pin out. I took mine completely apart, polished the stainless and rechromed the post, base and upper pivot hardware, installed new rubber, etc. I had some trouble with one of the roll pins because it broke when I tried to extract it. Had to drill it out.

Regarding the original question, I think it's pretty common to have to carve primer, paint and clear coat from the holes to get things to fit. I had to file a little out of the marker holes but my antenna hole was a major pain. 3 of the 4 marker holes are stock original on my car and so is the fender with the antenna hole so I doubt AMD is to blame. After filing and fitting the parts I coated the edges of the bare sheetmetal with touch up paint before finally installing the parts.

dodgepaul1969

Yes, It did turn out to be paint build up. It took me a while to talk myself into taking a file to the holes to work the paint down a lil, but I survived :-) The first one was the worst. They turned out great. as did the taillights and some of the trim holes. We're making progress now.
Tonight the dash vinyl gets redone and hopefully set the dash in this week and make some progress on the door glass. I'll try soaking the pins in penetrating oil tonight, they most likely have never been out, 47 years and most of it in a dry climate have them pretty tight. I just hated to ruin them before asking if there was a trick to them. Thanks for the help!