News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clutch, flywheel and bellhousing

Started by Ghoste, January 28, 2015, 07:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

69 Charger RT, 3:54 rear gear, 500 hp and torque (approx.) at the crank.  Mainly street driven with occasional strip time on sticky tires.
What flywheel and clutch with what blowproof bell?  30 pound flywheel?  Centerforce 10.5 clutch?  Bellhousing applications are pretty limited now are they not?  (as far as ring gears that is)

Cooter

I'm running a McLeod $450.00 clutch behind a fairly stout 440. 10.5"
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

What are you using for a bellhousing and flywheel?

Cooter

Have a Lakewood, but stock cast iron right now. Not planning on bonsai shifting.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Cooter

The Rat will have a blowproof. I plan on beatin the hell outta that 440.

c00nhunterjoe

I am running an 11" centerforce dual friction behind my mild 383. I think you can only run the 10.5" clutch behind a blowproof. If you are not running sticky tires it will be fine. If you ever plan to beat on it, a twin disc may be in your future but occasional track use will probably live.

six-tee-nine

If you want to resemble stock stuff, then a cast bellhousing with a 11" clutch setup and a 143 tooth flywheel it is.

Now we're at the subject, when does one "need" a aftermarket scattershield like the lakewood bellhousing for instance?
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: six-tee-nine on January 29, 2015, 04:02:24 PM
If you want to resemble stock stuff, then a cast bellhousing with a 11" clutch setup and a 143 tooth flywheel it is.

Now we're at the subject, when does one "need" a aftermarket scattershield like the lakewood bellhousing for instance?

In my opinion, whenever traction is good. I dont care if its a mild horsepower motor, you are winding it up to 6000 and sidestepping the clutch, momentarliy stopping movement, parts can and will scatter. If youve never seen what it looks like when a clutch comes through the floor...... ooooo, i cringe thinking about it......

Beav

Quote from: six-tee-nine on January 29, 2015, 04:02:24 PM

You only "need" a scattershield when the clutch explodes like a grenade... I've blown 2 behind a smallblock chevy, years ago. (VERY THANKFUL it was contained!)

It can save your leg, or spare your life... very cheap insurance.

:Twocents: Beav
Never confuse kindness for weakness...

Cooter

I know people that "need" a blowproof behind stock sh*t. Stuff comes apart.
like all these guys who can't seem to understand the relationship between those 4.10 gears and OD trans when stuff vibrates. You got any idea at high speeds what rpm that old driveshaft is spinning???

Yet, the lure of "having that cake and eating it too" seems greater.......

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Cooter on January 30, 2015, 07:54:57 AM
I know people that "need" a blowproof behind stock sh*t. Stuff comes apart.
like all these guys who can't seem to understand the relationship between those 4.10 gears and OD trans when stuff vibrates. You got any idea at high speeds what rpm that old driveshaft is spinning???

Yet, the lure of "having that cake and eating it too" seems greater.......

Well said. I run a stock bellhousing still and that thought is in my head everytime i sidestep the clutch at 6500... a blowproof is at the top.of the list on my upgrades. You are only as strong as your weakest link.

Ghoste

I'm not too worried about it resembling stock stuff but I don't want to take a hammer to the floorpans either.  I don't want to have to use a custom Z bar or fork either. 

fy469rtse

six tee nine , scattersheild recomended by me , any time any one is going to give there car a hard time
good insurance,
used to have a mate when growing up, his nick name was ankles kankles, not funny really, but devastating injuries from clutch fly wheel blowing up , tore right through the floor and dash , punched  windscreen out,

six-tee-nine

Really, even without slicks?

I already have a nice period correct 11" bell for my 4 speed conversion...
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Ghoste

One weak bolt and good traction will bring a clutch to it's downfall even without slicks.  For that matter a missed shift can send it all into the fly apart zone.

c00nhunterjoe

AKcharger

I have heard some horror stories about the fit on those aftermarket bell housings, just FYI

While clutches do explode,  I gotta ask has anyone EVER heard of a factory hemi, 440x6, LS-6, boss 429 ect. Coming apart? And if they did was the manufacturer sued? I think you'd need to really pump up an engine to make it a threat... :Twocents:

Ghoste

I have seen it and it is bad.  Also worth noting that I mentioned I drag race the car once in a while and occasionally do so on good tires so it only takes one missed shift under those conditions to ruin your day.

Cooter

Wow, same thing here as the tire speed rating thread. Sued. Holy canoli. Here we go.
nothing is deemed an actual'threat' until there's a lawsuit? Again, don't know bout you guys, but I like both my feet and NEVER bet on the unknown. If there's a chance something can go wrong, you can be double damn sure, it will. Some folks see the smoke rising, feel the rails shaking, hear the whistle blowing and get off the tracks.......others seem to hafta get hit by the train in order for it to sink in.

AKcharger

I'm just sayin' if a factory clutch/bell housing was that dangerous the manufactures would have been sued for poor design...like it or not litigation is the great "corrector"

I'm not arguing...ya' wanna put in a scatter shield...put in a scatter shield! I'm not telling you not to, in fact if your worried I insist you do, but I do go back to my original question FACTORY...FACTORY stock engine & clutch/bell housings exploding? This was actually happening?

:wave:

Ghoste

The way these cars were used even factory stock?  Yes.  And the great corrector didn't happen so much back then thats a newer phenomenon.

AKcharger