News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

overheating still?

Started by remta1, February 08, 2015, 03:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

remta1

Hi guys , had a noisy waterpump replaced it .filled it up with water .I didn't realise that the workshop boy had already filled it up ...long story short had a small hole in the alloy housing and all the water went straight into the motor :'( about 14 litres ....3 gallons.

Hadn't started the motor drained it all out .waited a day or two drained everything and fixed issues started motor with correct fluids and run really hot to get rid of water I motor etc. repeated this a few times and  slowly oil started looking cleaner and cleaner.Found  out I was going into hospital so did a full motor and radiator flush . Unfortunately due to surgery complications  put me out of action for about 8 months .

Move forward to now never had guages working , showed upto 22p farenheight . Checked for headgasket issues with carbon analyser via radiator ( don't know the proper name , looks like a Turkey baster ) liquid stayed blue , goes yellow or green if gasket/blown...all fine .Had radiator taken apart and cleaned ..flushed out motor and block .

I then hooked up an after market gauge and temps showed while hot and driving went up to 220 farenheight.put an aftermarket electric fan that pushes cool air into the radiator still no better .Overflow bottl on low when normal .

Went for a drive and somehow the overflow tube from the radiator came off , unable to stop and limped home.

The radiator was vey hot .topped up the radiator with more water just under 2.5 litres

Cleaned off the antifreeze from the engine bay.let everything settle overnight and water was at the same level think I was very lucky there !.drove the car on a very hot day here the next day and temp went back up to 210 farenheight / 115 celcius  it sat there quite stable so to speak even with electric fan on .My fan on the engine spins clockwise , both the top radiator hose and the bottom radiator hose are on the drivers side , not alternated .

Will this cause circulation issues , the original top radiator outlet on the   had been blocked and welded over by someone else. Motor is a 318 and has superbird nose on it now so may cause some airflow restrictions also.Guage is an autometer guage , cojuld this be faulty ?

Thermostat is 70 celcius / 158 farenheight.

Radiator bottle when hot at full and very very dark brown liquid in it , radiator has tiny black things about the size of sprinkles and resembles coal,or carbon look and feel , some crush others are really hard to crush ...sorry for the long post just trying to get as much info befor I pull radiator and flush motor again  :brickwall:

Dmichels

If you have crap floating around in the antifreeze flush the whole system. 220F is not that bad. As long as it holds steady I would not be overly concerned. When the temp starts creeping up that's a problem.
Things to think about to bring down the temp
engine timing
check to see the lower radiator hose is not collapsing it happens sometimes and causes a restriction
I would change the thermostat
can you improve airflow
I am sure others will chime in with many more ideas
68 440 4 speed 4.10

moparnation74

I agree with dmichels.

Dirty fluid, I would flush it.
If the temp is staying stable, that is a positive.  True test is a very hot day.
Do you hear any fluid boiling when the motor is hot?
Is your radiator cap ok?
The super bird nose can be a restriction but you do have electric fans.  Do an airflow check.

remta1

Quote from: moparnation74 on February 08, 2015, 09:42:43 AM
I agree with dmichels.

Dirty fluid, I would flush it.
If the temp is staying stable, that is a positive.  True test is a very hot day.
Do you hear any fluid boiling when the motor is hot?
Is your radiator cap ok?
The super bird nose can be a restriction but you do have electric fans.  Do an airflow check.

I can hear a bit of bubbling when the motor is very hot , coming from the engine , radiator cap is 13 pound .came in a overflow kit that I brought from year one . When it is very hot overflow bottle was bubbling but not boiling ,may have been air in the oveflow purging it was nearly at the full mark , after about five minutes it stopped and within twenty minutes the oveflow was back to its cold level .

fy469rtse

water pump thats on it , there's a good thread on here for cooling,
size of radiator ? , thermostat , changing that to a lower temp could help, I'm running a 160 in mine, it helped, i also always drill relief holes , several in thermostat, could that be sticking and not opening all the way,
does it run different from before , what temp ? did it run at before water pump problems

BSB67

I think the cap should be 18 psi.

220°F is not necessarily too hot or overheating.

Make sure you don't have too much antifreeze.  Only enough for reasonable freeze protection.  As concentration goes up, heat transfer goes down.

Not to be Debbie Downer, but for all the little things that people mention for overheating, (water pump, thermostat, hose...) my experience with overheating with OEM radiators, has been 100% of the time, the radiator due to pluggage.   :Twocents:

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

remta1

Before I had these issues I had no guages working so never got an idea what it was originally running at , now Running a 70 celcius thermostat  did another check with the "Turkey baster tonight , liquid still blue so that's good news , no blown head gasket , bizarrely the temp stayed at 82celcius and was idling ten to 15 minutes.y :shruggy:

Top inlet and bottom inlet on radiator are straight above each other.not one on each Side , ironically the top radiator outlet has been moved to the drivers side , the original is blanked/welded .

Maybe I have the wrong radiator , all the holes line up , is it possible that I have a different model one

Cooter

Correct pulleys is another area people overlook.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"