News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where to get steering shaft coupler clamp?

Started by Blakcharger440, September 20, 2005, 06:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

The steering shaft coupler on my 70 Charger is very loose and I have tried to tap it back on but it will not go.
Does anyone know where I can get one of those steering shaft coupler clamps ?
I know the mopar4sale website has them but this business does not have a ph# even.
Anyone ever purchase one from them? Or know where to get one?

sunfire69

You can still buy these from your local Dodge dealer. It's the same part number as the one for a 79 Dodge 4x4 pick-up

Just 6T9 CHGR

Buy a whole rebuilding kit and rebuild it while your in there.     Its like $15 at the dealer.

Also this guy sells a clip to retain the clamp....

http://www.mopar4sale.com/

Check out the TSB while on his site on the upper left corner of the page.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

And if you aren't worried about concours perfect, while it's apart for the rebuild you can drill and tap for a grease zerk.  I did that with mine so I can lube it up every now and again.

C500

are those steering shaft coupler clamps factory issue? I have just bought the rebuild kit and probably need the clamp too? The plastic lugs in the steering column must have broken because I can push the shaft in by hand...will the clamp prevent the shaft from sliding out of the coupling or is the end cover good enough for this?
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Chryco Psycho

the small knurled pin in the pic above retains the shoes in the coupler so the shoes cannot slide out of the coupler , the "clamp" for the rubber seal is not enough to hold it in

C500

"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Ghoste

The clamps were factory issue but if I am right, they were brought out as part of a TSB campaign.  It wasn't an actual recall but if you came in with the problem it was the officially endorsed fix.

A383Wing

Nacho-RT74

funny! just TODAY! FOUND THOSE ( and I wasn't even searching! ) and found you posted the link here... casuality? thinking on get one, even still doesn't need it, but just in case
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html