News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

end play help needed !!

Started by r4daytona, January 21, 2015, 04:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r4daytona

Ok, I'm not a smart as most of you guys so I'll describe my problem and maybe you can provide some suggestions.  I blew the pass. side rear axle seal this summer. Since the axles were out I also had my friend swap my gears to a 489 case which is correct for my car.  (mine had a 742)  Anyway, I put the new seal in and put the axles in.  I put the pass. side in first and then the drivers and realized I should have done the drivers first because there was no end play at all.  I loosened up the pass side and turned the adjuster clockwise to loosen it up and put the axle back in. at first it seemed like about 3/16 end play but then for some reason when I rotated it there was no end play.  So here's the description.  If you're looking at the pass hub with that socket hole at the 12 o'clock position there is no end play and it stays like that til about the 3 o'clock position, then it loosens up again.  So about 1/4 to 1/3 of the rotation really has no end play. The drivers side seems reversed about 2/3rd's is tight and 1/3rd has a little play.  The flange with the 5 stud holes doesn't look bent and I was careful to tighten the nuts is somewhat of a star pattern.  The bearings are new and were put in at the shop and I re-packed them good.

Did I crank the 5 nuts in to tight?

Any ideas ? 

Back N Black

Did you install the locking tab to prevent the nut from moving after adjustment?

RallyeMike

You can't crank the 5 nuts too tight as long as you don't strip or break them. They are just locking down the flange against the housing.

I'm having a hard time following the description..... but install both axles, but back off the adjuster so there is lots of slop, rap on them lightly with a hammer to ensure they are seated and tighten all 10 end bolts. Make sure you still have end play, then adjust until there is zero end play and back it off to spec.

Q: Are the gears you installed SG and were the thrust buttons in there? These allow one axle to thrust against the unit and it against the other axle. That's why only one adjuster is needed. Missing thrust buttons = extra end play.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

r4daytona

They are SG gears.  This is a 489 case so there are no thrust buttons if I know what you're talking about.  They were in the 742 unit I took out - (2 small little pieces, one with a small pin on the end that fits into the other - Both go into the center of the center section)   Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe these are use in a 489.  Even the C-body section I took out didn't have them.

Anyway, last night I got home, I reamed out the 5 holes in the drivers flange just a hair bigger so that flange when on easier (without having to tap it in place) - that axle bolted up nice. If I remember right first with a little play all thru the rotation, then when tightened up it had no play

I did the same thing with the holes on the pass. side.  That flange went on alot easier and had a good amount of play all way around.  When I tightened it up and adjusted the end play I still had play for the whole rotation except when the socket hole in the hub is around the 7 to 9 o'clock position - then there was no play.  After I adjusted it, I took the one bolt out and put the locking tab in place.

I'm thinking that maybe the race was cocked a bit??

Do I need to take it out again and keep trying it??

John_Kunkel

Back the adjuster off a couple of notches, then use a shot-filler hammer and hit the end of the driver side axle, then go to the other side and smack the passenger side...this will seat both bearing races. Then tighten the adjuster to get the proper end play to the loosest spot in the rotation. Don't worry if the end play changes with rotation.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

r4daytona

Will do.  But I don't have a shot filled hammer, not even sure what that is.  I have a framing hammer, wooden mallet, rawhide hammer and rubber mallet.  I'll use the framing hammer and a wooden block?  Whale on it or just hit it like I'm pounding a nail?

cdr

medium blow to the axle,don't whale on it.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

moparnation74

Same as a dead blow hammer.  You can pick one up at harbor freight from 6-12 dollars depending on weight.