News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wide or close ratio trans in a B-body

Started by Ghoste, January 19, 2015, 03:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Wide and close ratio four speeds, what are the pros and cons of using each in a Charger?

1974dodgecharger

you can make the change on a rear end eaiser than a tranny 1st gear ratio....

A383Wing

you would have to change the cluster gear also...I didn't think Chrysler had a "close ratio' 4spd trans...always thought that was a GM thing

Ghoste

I don't mean how do you change it, I mean what are the pros and cons of operating one in a Charger.  :lol:

1974dodgecharger

we are talking about the gear ratios in the tranny right?  3.01 1st or 2.66 1st, etc..to 1.96 to 1.40 to 1:1 etc...or whatever?

Ghoste

Yes and maybe wide or close was the wrong terminology.  I just wanted opinions on driving each version.

1974dodgecharger

If you have a 4.10 gearing and you have a 3.01 1st that's gonna launch pretty darn hard, lol.....

I have a 2.66 1st and 3.23 gearing in the gear with 28inch tires and my motor makes up for the slack.....I shift and im probably 600 rpms off from each other i.e. shift at 5k rpm to 2nd I get 4400rpm then, etc..so mine is close ratio if that's what your asking.  Great for racing I guess, but a drag for highway speeds....

I know a guy who has the 3.01 and has a 4.10 rear and he sometimes starts off in 2nd gear.....

we both drive manuals.

Cooter

All Chrysler 4speeds were "close ratio", save for OD 3speeds and. VERY early A body 4speed.

Hemi just got all the close ratio glory as many added that to the mix to jump price even further.
you drive a 3.01 first and 4.10's it'll. Be like driving a "granny low" dump truck on the street.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

c00nhunterjoe

There are a few different gearsets depending on years, but for the most part, you wont notice a difference.
  Fwiw, i can take off in 3rd with no throttle in mine.... lol i have 88's in it....

John_Kunkel

Many people complain about the big ratio change between 1 and 2 on the wide-ratio box but if you have enough power it isn't a big issue.

I like the wide ratio because it allows a higher (lower numeric ratio) rear end without the launch difficulty...example, a wide ratio box and 2.94 gears has a lower first gear than a standard ratio box with 3.23's (a common combination in the muscle car years)

3.09 X 2.94= 9.08
3.09 X 2.76= 8.53
2.66 X 3.23= 8.59

Higher rear gears make for better freeway cruising.

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.