News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cheap 68-69 Charger. Is there such a thing left anymore.?

Started by fastmark, January 20, 2015, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

QuoteI don't think they were ever "cheap" - at least not in the last 20 years!

This.

Popular car-guy memory has this sort of "rolling reset" where everything was cheaper & easier to find until 10-15 years ago.  It's a myth. 

2nd-gens haven't been cheap since the early 1980s.  As muscle-era bodystyles go, they were expensive & hard to find by the 1990s. 

bill440rt

I bought my '69 ten years ago as a complete, rusted roller for about $600 bucks.
During the resto, I picked up another '69 parts car which was pretty much a rusted shell, for $400. Both cars were under a 1/2hr drive.

They are out there, just need to hunt. And, be patient and willing to put in some effort.
Or, maybe I'm just lucky.  :shruggy:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

It isn't just car guys, its everyone Mike.  We all remember that cars, houses, groceries and stamps were so affordable just a hazy memory ago but we can't seem to recall the fact that we made less money then.
Things aren't cheaper or more expensive, we are just dealing in larger increments.

Evelbist

in my case this is my first mopar resto. have a dozen smokey bandit cars, a couple of willys pickups, z28s under my belt. but the '69 charger has always been on my bucket list. its just the coolest car (IMO).

i bought a rolling 318 chassis last year - 5K. only needed the trunk pan.

and:

seats
grille
dash
grille support
all harnesses
all brakes
front suspension redo
rear springs
taillights
steering col
headliner
door panels and pulls
heater box
radiator
all linkages to convert to console shift
console
carpet
glass
window regulators
vinyl top
paint
bumpers

and much more of the little stuff. i'm not complaining. it looks like its going to be a winner. but i'm into it for more than 25K in parts, labor was love.

if i didnt know how to do everything already, i'd have been better off buying a restored car. thats why these cars so expensive. Just my  :Twocents:

Ghoste

Do you find its more money than similar condition other cars you've done?

Evelbist

much more $$$$.

the scarcity of original parts and of course, the popularity of the car.

supply vs. demand. thats why the car is worth so much. compare it with a 69 firebird (not a TA), and you'll see its popularity gives it the edge in price.