News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

water pump gasket turning green

Started by 1974dodgecharger, January 11, 2015, 11:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

Seems I might have a small leak somewhere that ends up on the K frame below the water pump housing area.  I noticed the other day the gasket has turned green in color, does this mean the gasket has gone bad or water pump is bad due to leak?  I went ahead and bought some superformance gaskets the whole front end kit mind as well replace em if im taking it apart.

another thing I noticed is that when the car being warmed up my temps initially spike up to 200 then drops back down to 180 for the drive. I know it used to spike up initially to 190, but not 200 then return to 180 as when thermostat is opening up.

fy469rtse

How old is the thermostat, could be going bad ,
Also water pumps seals usually let go suddenly after the bearings develop wear, could be a sign pumps about to go,
Most pumps have a vent hole underneath , once internal seal go's , it will gush out of there
With car not running of course , grab the fan and try to rock water pump side to side , see it you can notice any slop or movement to where there shouldn't be , usual indication of pump on the way out,

1974dodgecharger

thermostat is  probably 8 years old and I switched to electrical fans, but will see if I can rock the hub still with belt loosened up.

thanks fy469rtse   :icon_smile_big:  :2thumbs:

fy469rtse

water pumps are servicable,
i rebuilt one earlier this year , look for the kit, cheap , new bearings and seal, just need the right sort of tools,
stock pumps are cheap also, dont waste your money on so called aftermarket better, check out a thread on here that disproves that