News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oilpressure after 2-3 secs when fireing up

Started by andben, January 07, 2015, 05:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andben

Guys, I dont know if I had this problem before I changed oil and filter.
Dont know what kind of oil I had in the engine either.

Well, to the "problem":

When I start the engine (it starts directly - very easy) it has no oil pressure (and it sounds like that too) for like 2 seconds. Then it sounds better and gauge says like 40 psi.

Is this normal behavior?

And another Q:
My oil pan is 7 qtz, how much oil should I have in the pan? 7 or more?

cheers,

myk

You really can't verify your car's oil pressure with just the gauge in the car-it's unreliable.  Verify it with a reputable shop and then install an aftermarket gauge for reliability or have your original gauge recalibrated and then reinstalled.  

When you say the car sounds like it has no oil pressure what are you hearing?  I will wager that your car is fine but it takes a couple of seconds for our old crusty gauges to catch up to what is going on in the car itself.

As for your pan capacity, stock 440's have a 5 quart pan I believe, and I always put in 5, maybe another quart or so during an oil change.  Bottom line is this: add oil until your dipstick reads full.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Finally I run a 10W40 synthetic in my Charger.  A lot of older muscle car guys swear by 20W50 but there's no need for something that thick unless you're trying to hide oil loss.  How long have you had this car?  I hope this engine hasn't gone without an oil change before too long.  I'd change it soon and start fresh...

andben

It's a 496 HEMI stroker pushing around 650-700hp with Stewart Warner gauges.

I cant explain how it sounds the first second when firing up... but sounds like piston rings are loose :D

It's a complete non-orginal motor and oil stick. It's kind of a racing oil stick.

Brass

I think that is normal.  If it has been sitting for a while with all the oil drained down into the pan, it will take the pump a second or two to build pressure.  (A lot of normal wear happens at start up.)  But you should be able to watch it build oil pressure almost immediately on the gauge.    An external accusump can be used as a pre-oiler to build oil pressure before you start the engine.    

cdr

if you have a cheap oil filter that the anti drain back valve dont work that will happen!!!!!

get a good wix oil filter
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dmichels

what said x2 cheep filter bad anti drain back valve
68 440 4 speed 4.10

fy469rtse

andben

I got a BIG BIG K&N HP-6002 with external oilcooler connected with big AN-hoses.

I put in 20/50w from Wolf's Head.

Links (you see oilfilter in front of radiator support to the left in picture)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/142279/hemi_engine.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/142279/hemi_oilfilter.png

Thanks guys!

cdr

it says no anti drain back valve for that part #

Product Specifications   
Anti Drain Back Valve:   No
Bypass Valve:   No
Filter Material:   High Flow Premium Media
Gasket Material:   Nitrile Rubber
Height:   8.281 in (210 mm)
Outside Diameter:   3.688 in (94 mm)
Part Number:   HP-6002
Product Box Height:   9 in (229 mm)
Product Box Length:   4 in (102 mm)
Product Box Width:   4 in (102 mm)
Product Style:   Oil Filters
PSI Relief Valve:   None
Removal Nut Size:   1 inch
Removal Nut:   Yes
Style:   Canister
Thread Specification:   13/16 In. - 16
Weight:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

cdr

i would also mount the filter lower !!!!!!!!   :Twocents: