News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

CARB CLEANING 101 -- BEST way to thoroughly clean a Carter AVS

Started by odcics2, December 22, 2014, 02:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

There are many ways on Youtube and other information out there.  Some comparisons are apples to oranges! 
Some stuff, like PineSol is supposed to work, BUT on the bottle it states NOT for aluminum. 

What is the best way YOU have actually cleaned an aluminum AVS ?   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ghoste

John_Kunkel

Regular parts dip (like Berryman Chem Dip) usually does the best job but it discolors the plated parts. Some day I'm gonna get me one of those new-fangled ultrasonic cleaners, they supposedly work great on carbs.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

odcics2

Quote from: Ghoste on December 22, 2014, 03:07:04 PM
Won't regular carb cleaner work?

Trying to get one "like new" as much as possible.  Looking for any info on a dip process, or  ultrasonic & in a dip, etc...
Saw on youtube, one guy soda blasted the outside - very nice, but all the passageways need TLC, too. 

Dino

I soda blasted my thermoquad in and out, then washed it in hot water to get it all out.  It looked brand new in no time.  Half the back yard turned white though and I killed much of the grass....
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

fy469rtse

I had one that gave me problems , age had made the case porous , hydro blasted it , think shot preening but with water, cured and a side benefit is that shines up the case as well,
Oh it was filthy to start with and nothing made it look any better

HANDM

I tear it all the way down, soak it in a small container of gas with a lid for a while then finish it off with carb and choke cleaner and compressed air. Rebuild as usual and pour the dirty gas into the Truck....

71 SE3834V

71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

71 SE3834V

71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

71 SE3834V

71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

A383Wing

yes, that carb cleaner in a drum works good...did yours have an "agitator" on it?

71 SE3834V

Quote from: A383Wing on December 29, 2014, 11:36:49 PM
yes, that carb cleaner in a drum works good...did yours have an "agitator" on it?

It has a basket in it to lower the parts down. The bottom of the basket has many small holes in it so if you lift it up and down it will swirl the fluid around. I believe it is a 2 part chemical. Bottom chemical cleans and upper chemical neutralizes the cleaner. Stinks like heck.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

A383Wing

the one we had was "air powered"....it rotated the basket back & forth like a washing machine to clean better....yea, it stinks like hell....and all we used to rinse off the carb was warm water

odcics2

Lots of good info here.

I'll do before and after pics.
I have a '69 prototype sandcast Dominator with brass boosters in it.
It has aluminum restrictors in it to get 950 cfm, so I needed to know
about a cleaning method that won't destroy them.

don duick

I striped it and hung all the parts on a wire and took it to a machine shop. They have a tank for cleaning alloy and they dip it for about 24 hrs. They shouldn't charge much and may be cheaper than trying to do this yourself.