News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine Bay Originality Question

Started by ODZKing, December 21, 2014, 03:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ODZKing

Third Gen Chargers.  The bars that run from the firewall to the fenders, braces or what ever they are.  The bolts that hold them to the fender ... black - same as the bar, or body color?
If they were all body color, they would have been painted with the cars at the factory, then as the car went through, removed to secure the bars ... I would think.
That is assuming the fender bolts are all body color. Are they?
I have numerous pics I've saved of engine bay(s) and I see them both ways.  What is correct?  :popcrn:

1973rallye

Bob. On my 340 car the fender bolts for those braces are body color. The firewall nut has no color on it that I can see. Ray
1973 Rallye 440 4 speed
2016 Challenger r/t Shaker

bill440rt

I'm not exactly a 3rd gen expert, but I would think if the bars are body color then they were painted with the body as an assembly as it rolled down the line. Therefore, the attaching bolts would have also been body color.
If the bars are black, then they would have been added after the refinish process, therefore I would lead to believe the bolts would have been black phosphate or other similar plating.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

CDN72SE

On my 72SE the bars are black and the fender bolts are body colour.
1972 Charger SE

RJS

I can add some to this, the bars are a semi gloss black color. I'm going to have mine powder coated when I send a bunch of stuff off to be done. I saw on my car 72 Satellite Sebring Plus that a regular fender bolt was in that position when the fenders were painted and then removed because there was a circle unpainted under the bars.
My car had what looked like silver cad bolts with smaller washers (possibly Black phosphate) holding the bars down at the fenders and a silver cad nut at the firewall. The nut was rusted and the bolts were bare color so I'm guessing on the silver cad.
I thought to myself this all made sense for when the car was going down the line the fenders would have all of the bolts in place. Later when it was determined that the particular car was getting the bars the painted bolts were removed bars mounted with new hardware. I guess it is also plausible that the painted bolts could be reused but that wasn't the case with my car.
These pictures are hard to see what I'm saying because the car was just painted for the first time but not the engine compartment so the pictures look like it was bare under the bar but that is not the case, just the circle showing a fender bolt was in there when factory painted it.

I'd like to know what determined when they got the bars and when they didn't???  My first SSP bought in 1977 didn't have them and this one does???
Ron