News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Would you investigate a little about this 500+ HP engine?

Started by Paul G, January 01, 2015, 01:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

I am planning an engine swap, doing lots of research. The price is right on this engine if it is an "excellent" engine like the add says. It's 72 440 listed for sale from a local hot rod shop. http://widowindustries.com/

I have seen his work around the valley. Not bad at all. He is using an old school purple shaft cam in this 440 he wants to sell. Not sure why? He says only 1000 miles on the rebuild, my first question is going to be "were they 1/4 mile at a time"?

Would an easy cam swap retain the 500 plus horse number and make it streetable for power brakes and A/C?

The add;

Chrysler 440 big block 525 HP - $3500 (Widow Industries)
condition: excellent
1972 casting 9 1/2 to 1 compession, 292 purple shaft, M1 intake, 1,000 mi on rebuild, very strong engine!!!

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

firefighter3931

The 509 is not very street friendly unless you plan to run 4.30 gears and a 3800 stall. Dirty idle with very poor vacuum....forget about power brake booster use with this cam.....unless you want to install an electric vacuum pump.  :-\

This is more of a bracket race type build.....definately not in the "cruiser" category.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Paul G

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 01, 2015, 02:12:08 PM
The 509 is not very street friendly unless you plan to run 4.30 gears and a 3800 stall. Dirty idle with very poor vacuum....forget about power brake booster use with this cam.....unless you want to install an electric vacuum pump.  :-\
This is more of a bracket race type build.....definately not in the "cruiser" category.  ;)
Ron

That is what I have read doing an easy search on this cam, 292/509 purple shaft.

I am going to call them and talk. Holiday today, call tomorrow. If this engine has had a hard life, bracket racer, it's not for me. If it was a lumpy idle show pony for cruise nights? A cam swap is easy, $500 job. Can that transform this engine? Is it worth it? Can this engine be a cruiser with a different cam? I'll find out tomorrow.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

BSB67

Claimed hp does not mean much without some objective evidance.  That number seems a little high for a relatively low CR, 509 cam.

You need to get the piston part numbers, understand the heads and head work, and valve train.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

69wannabe

X2!! That 525 hp seems a little high to me for a stock stroked 440 with most likely a set of iron heads according to the price of the engine. That 509 cam will make some good numbers with that M 1 single plane intake even with stock heads but like Ron said the performance will be very poor until the rpm's are up in the 3000 and up range. That engine would benefit from a smaller cam and a dual plane intake tho... Had a comp XE274 cam in my 440 and had lots of people comment on how good it sounded and it was very streetable but may require a small stall converter maybe like a 2500 to 3000. Just be careful, some poeple's rebuilt engine isn't really a rebuilt engine.

1974dodgecharger

Paul,
I run the 509 in my 383 and i wouldn't recommend it if you drive a auto.  Even with a manual its not to street friendly, but i have gotten used to it and ,'learned' how to drive it and most folks who have driven with me don't know the difference what cam i have. 

I run a 10.5 to 1, 3.23, KB pistons, steel crank, with the M1 intake.  The car really opens up at 2500 rooms, but below 2k rpm a dog......peeling tires is easy still.

Ghoste

Paul G