News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Preferred machine shops in metro Detroit?

Started by Ghoste, December 14, 2014, 03:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

1RareBird

Best Machine in Farmington would be my choice.
When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Ghoste

Did some asking around and their name came up several times, have already been talking to them and I'm dropping off my block there before the ball drops in Times Square this year.
Thanks btw.

BSB67

Chuck is a pretty easy guy to be around.

What is your plan?

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Ghoste

Reliability and durability, stock stroke, the required overbore (likely .030).  I just wanted good machining and could not find it in southwestern Ontario.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Ghoste on December 25, 2014, 12:06:14 PM
Massive power, biggest stroke possible, the required overbore (likely .030).  I just wanted good machining that can produce 800hp and could not find it in southwestern Ontario.

FIXED  :2thumbs:

Ghoste

Haha, no I really just need a stock rebuild this time but as a strong believer in having the fundamentals right ie the machine work, I still want a shop that will make sure its all good.  I don't need it Stock Eliminator perfect but round holes and straight surfaces are much preferred.  And around here most shops just want to build sbc engines for the roundy round crowd and they don't even spend the time to do those right.  Just hone it out and go racin'.

BSB67

Are they selecting and doing everything? or just a short block, and who is picking the key parts (cam and pistons)?

If you are picking parts......good, as it seems pretty clear that you know what you want.

My caution comes when communicating and transferring what someone wants (not necessary you) to the machine shop (not necessarily Chuck).  I have observed that sometimes people are disappointed in the performance of a new engine.  But after close review, it is actually what they asked for directly and indirectly, and/or appropriately inferred by the machine shop.

I have a couple great examples of this happening.  But the short of it is, When a customer emphasis's low cost, low maintenance, easy on parts, bullet proof, the machine shop then sizes the customer up, and will focus on those items/inputs.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Ghoste

Just machining.  Although his estimate to assemble a shortblock was very reasonable so I am considering supplying him with the rods and pistons and having them do it.  I'll see what my time is like here, I've done it before a few times so I'm comfortable with it.

BSB67

Quote from: Ghoste on December 27, 2014, 10:03:40 AM
Just machining.  Although his estimate to assemble a shortblock was very reasonable so I am considering supplying him with the rods and pistons and having them do it.  I'll see what my time is like here, I've done it before a few times so I'm comfortable with it.

I love assembling.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Ghoste

I do too and its the only way to really know what went in there.  Not to mention I have a bunch of the tools needed for a proper rebuild (and I don't mean a complete wrench set  :lol: ) and if I don't get to use them once in a while they aren't doing me any good.
That said, by the time they get to my block and finish it, it comes to a REALLY busy time for me at work.  Truth is I should even think about getting off my pride and pay them to do a long block and dyno the works so that I just pay, pick it up and install.

Redmanf1

This place did all the engine work on my bird, (Performance Engineering Racing Engines Inc).
It was done first of 2008 and it seems to be a quality rebuild, had a lot of work done. Went with comp cam 470/ 224 @ 050.

http://peracingengines.com/ 

Challenger340

Hard part with many shops these days.... seems to be turnaround times ? That's the biggest bitch we get by far ?

We CLOSE as FULL UP by late Oct/early NOV every year.... until pretty much April/May for that reason.
Only 2 of us.... and once "FULL UP" with work...  that's ALL we can get done :shruggy:

No point taking stuff IN... that we'll never get to in any reasonable timeframe... just makes guys mad !
So better to just be straight and say;
"sorry, but you will have to take it elsewhere, or get on the list for spring intake".

Yes, I take a lunchbreak banging around on the 'puter... so what ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Ghoste

Another good point by you as a professional.  I didn't ask Best for a hard date, I asked if I get it there now is there a reasonable chance considering the parts within your control I can have it back in 3 months and his honest answer was that he should be able to meet that.
Now if there are no issues with parts and it is like July, I'll be pissed off but come April 1 if it isn't quite ready, then it isn't quite ready.