News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how hard to replace small block with big block in 73 charger

Started by texas charger 73, November 16, 2014, 08:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

texas charger 73

My charger is a 318/904 combo. How hard is it to convert to a 400 or 440 with 727? My 318,sounds beefy but it might have barely 250 HP. I want to go big block but its not like cheverolet where everything interchanges. I have hears from some you have to change the whole k member and I have hears from others they make universal mounts now! What would be needed besides motor and tranny obviously.  New harness? Different radiator? Bigger springs? I know people have done this before with much success.
1973 dodge charger
mild 318
904 reverse manual vb
2 1/2" flowmasters
8.25 with 3:55
Sdh1120@yahoo.com
Plum crazy metallic

RallyeMike

I'd suggest a quick search on the site. It has been covered more than once and there is a ton of discussion on the subject.

You don't have to change the K if you use Schumacher monts. You don't need a new wiring harness if you just extent the distributor and coil wires to reach the front of the engine. You will need a bigger radiator with the inlet/outlets in the correct position. Larger torsion bars are recommended, but not absolutely required.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/