News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Harmonic balancer

Started by Windsor, October 30, 2014, 04:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windsor

What would you guys suggest for a harmonic balancer for my '68 383? Tried to check the timing today and noticed that it isn't right. Timing mark is almost even with the pass side oil pan flange. I looked at one that jegs has http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/516035/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710712038&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=230006180000850296&cadevice=m&gclid=CPGF2u2o1cECFQOSfgodw18A8A
What do you guys think? Gotta stay on the low $ side. Just had back surgery, so it won't be getting changed right away (have to pull the entire front clip off to get to it).

moparnation74

Just curious, what made you decide to check timing?

Are you running vacuum advance?

Windsor

I am not running vac adv. I decided to check the timing because I wanted to see what it was after changing the carb. Runs good on the Mighty Demon when warmed up, but still a bit rich, and rich as all hell when cold. But, I decided to put on one that has a choke to make it easier to use the car in the cooler weather.
Checking it is a pain in the ...  In order to check it, I have to aim the light between the v-belt and waterpump then look at the timing tab by snaking my inspection camera between my front plate mount, water pump and water manifold.

firefighter3931

The Jegs balancer looks fine but if you're looking for something a bit more economical the Mancini pro-street balancer is a good choice as well for a street car.  :yesnod:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/prostreet1.html

This unit works with both cast crank & forged crank applications and is rated at 12,500 rpm. It's important to remove the bolt-on weights if using on a forged crank with internal balancing. Just a heads up if you decide to go this route  ;)

Speedy recovery from the back surgery  :cheers:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Windsor

Thanks Ron. I didn't see that one when I was looking on Mancini.
I'll find out in Dec if the surgery was good enough or if I need another.  So, hopefully I'll be able to get some work done before then.

moparnation74

Quote from: Windsor on October 31, 2014, 11:15:21 AM
I am not running vac adv. I decided to check the timing because I wanted to see what it was after changing the carb. Runs good on the Mighty Demon when warmed up, but still a bit rich, and rich as all hell when cold. But, I decided to put on one that has a choke to make it easier to use the car in the cooler weather.
Checking it is a pain in the ...  In order to check it, I have to aim the light between the v-belt and waterpump then look at the timing tab by snaking my inspection camera between my front plate mount, water pump and water manifold.

That does make sense now!  A new balancer as noted above will be helpful.

Windsor

Does anyone have any experience with KMJ parts? I'm looking at this one as an option. http://kmjperformance.com/mopar-dodge-383-400-440-balancer-steel-sfi-damper-new.html