News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does timing effect air fuel ratio?

Started by Paul G, October 30, 2014, 06:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

Might be a stupid question? But I dont know the answer. Is air fuel ratio strictly a jetting function? Or does timing play a part?

At our upcoming H.E.M.I. show next March we are having Personal Touch Dynomometer set up at the show again this year. Might be a great time to do a little performance fine tuning. 
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

firefighter3931

Yes....timing does impact A/F ratios. Increased timing requires more fuel & air.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BSB67

Quote from: Paul G on October 30, 2014, 06:55:47 PM
Might be a stupid question? But I dont know the answer. Is air fuel ratio strictly a jetting function? Or does timing play a part?

At our upcoming H.E.M.I. show next March we are having Personal Touch Dynomometer set up at the show again this year. Might be a great time to do a little performance fine tuning.  

The actual air to fuel ratio does not change with timing.  However, the number you read on your wideband might move around with timing changes.  Optimum A/F will likely change with timing changes.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

XH29N0G

Now you gave me something else to test!   :nana:  And I'll have to do more test drives! 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

A383Wing

You would need a 4 gas analyzer to see the change with timing. HC's and Nox will change with timing. The air/fuel will not change that much unless you do a jet or metering rod change

Kern Dog

The whole practice of tuning with these in car Air/Fuel guages is interesting. I found that I was running too rich even though I saw no smoke and it smelled as clean as a newer car.
Timing affects the ratio. If you tune it with the air cleaner off, it affects the ratio. A 200 rpm increase in idle speed affects the ratio. Only the wideband shows this. The car may "feel" the same but the guage tells the story.
Today I helped a buddy tune his car, a 71 Challenger with a worked 340/416. He had the timing set to 10 initial/25 total because anything more than that caused dieseling on shutdown. I told him that I've learned that the "run-on" is often incorrectly blamed on excessive timing. Many times the run-on is from the primary throttle blades being open too far at idle. Another contrubutor is using spark plugs with an incorrect heat range. The Air/Fuel ratio was in the high 16s at idle. I backed out the Idle Mixture Screws and the A/F numbers went to the mid 15s. I bumped the timing 5 degrees and the numbers went to the mid 14s. The car now runs faster and does not diesel upon shutdown.

John_Kunkel

I think it's more correct to say that timing affects "combustion efficiency" rather than air/fuel ratio.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

A383Wing

yea..air fuel ratio stays the same no matter where timing is...which I said before...now if you change jets or rods, then A/F will change

BSB67

Quote from: John_Kunkel on November 03, 2014, 03:42:11 PM

I think it's more correct to say that timing affects "combustion efficiency" rather than air/fuel ratio.

Well said.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

A383Wing

Air-fuel ratio is going into the engine, combustion efficiency is what comes out