News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash frame question

Started by comet_666, September 11, 2014, 08:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

Mine was broken around the radio spot so I removed it so it can be welded. Is there a schematic or something on how these were bolted in? Mine had 2 bolts holding it to the steering column, 2 above the kick panels and 4 zip screws (2 on each side) holding it to the a pillars. Once those were removed out it came. I have the shop manual but there is nothing on how that went in. Any help would be appreciated!

Shakey

It's been so long since I removed/replaced my dash but...

Along with the fasteners you mentioned, don't forget the screws along the front edge of the dash that hold it to the cowl at the base of the windshield.

BTW - mine too had been broken in the same spot.  In the attached photo, the wires that hold it up for painting are in the screw holes I noted above.

comet_666

Can you actually screw it in with the windshield already installed?

Shakey

I can't say for certain but it looks like it cannot be done.

Take a look at this photo and you'll see it would be awful tight trying to get a tool in there to install it.

green69rt

Quote from: comet_666 on September 11, 2014, 08:06:03 PM
Mine was broken around the radio spot so I removed it so it can be welded. Is there a schematic or something on how these were bolted in? Mine had 2 bolts holding it to the steering column, 2 above the kick panels and 4 zip screws (2 on each side) holding it to the a pillars. Once those were removed out it came. I have the shop manual but there is nothing on how that went in. Any help would be appreciated!

I'm trying to figure out how your dash was installed.  You talked about "4 zip screws".  I don't remember those on my car.  There were the five bolts along the windshield edge.  Once those are out and the steering column is out then the dash just rotates on the two screws in the kick panel area (not counting all the wiring, heater cables, yada, yada.)  If you have the dash out then you must have the windshield out or you could not get to the bolts on the front edge.   If they were not there to start with then someone, in the past may have removed the dash and installed it without them and then added the "4 zip screws" to hold the dash in place.    Can you put up some pics??

comet_666

When it was painted and partially assembled the dash went in after the windshield because the person assembling it did not know how it went together. I am assuming he realized his mistake too late and ended up having to basically screw it to the a pillar framing to get it to stay. So I needed to pull it for welding and that is when I discovered what he did.
So you seem to be 100% spot on.

green69rt

OK, now I'm getting a clearer picture of what's going on.   I think you only have two options...one: install the dash back the way you took it out but I would be tempted to try to add some sheet metal screws to the front edge from underneath the dash and up into the cowl seam.  I would worry about the "4 zip screws" letting loose and having the dash in my lap at 70 MPH!!
second option:  bite the bullet, pull the front windshield and install the dash correctly.   That's pretty drastic because you may end up damaging the windshield molding/trim and maybe breaking the windshield :shruggy:  If you think you may be removing the windshield sometime in the future then just use option one and plan on doing it right in the future.