News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear Side Window Additional Info Requested

Started by john108, December 13, 2007, 03:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

From the replies to my previous post concerning the rear seat side window, I am hoping someone remember what they had to do to remove the window mechanism.  I have attached a picture identifying:
3 Large Nuts  N1 thru N3
2 small nuts  n4 thru n5
10 Bolts  B1 thru B10

I have already dropped one of those CLIPS, that the outside stainless trim screws to, into the space at the bottom along the quarter panel.  I would hope not to have anything else fall into that crevis.  Therefore, I hope you can identify which nuts or bolts should not be removed.  OR, if they have to be removed, tips on not to drop whatever they are attached to.
John

Shakey

When I did mine, and bear with me it was back in July, I removed N1 & N2 first.  I then removed that small track (about 12" long) as it only gets in the way while trying to work on this odd discombobulation of a contraption.  It'll slide off of the roller with ease.

B1 can come out at any time as if my memory serves me correctly it is simple a stop and is not attached to anything else.  I am quite sure this is the same for B2 & B3.

Before you remove B5, B6, B9 and B10 which will loosen the metal plate that the long track attaches to, you'll need to loosen the nut on the inside.  You see, the long track has a small bracket that is bolted to the galvanized plate that is held to the inner quarter with B5, B6, B9 and B10.  The nut I am referring to cannot be seen in your photo.  You'll need to get your hand in there to loosen this nut.  Once it is off be patient as you gentlly try and remove the long track, sliding it out through the gap at the top between the inner and outer corner.  You'll have to be patient as the rollers may be a bit stiff after the 40 year old grease has hardened.  While you are doing this, don't be surprised to hear the double rollers fall out of place and hit the floor between the inner and outer qtr.  No worries on finding these as they are quite large.  I soaked mine in penetrating oil for a while and then cleaned them up really good with some laquer thinner and an old toothbrush.    Remove B5, B6, B9 and B10 and the metal plate should come out the bottom hole.

N4 & N5 can come out now, they also hold a small track in place.  This is the smallest of the three tracks.  It's straight while the other two have a slight curve to them.

I believe that only leaves B4, B7 and B8 which are the only three bolts that hold the crank mechanism in place.  Now the fun begins.

Loosen the last three bolts and try to seperate the two remaining pieces inside the quarter, the crank and the large aluminium bracket that has the slots for the rollers.  If you can get them apart inside it will be easier to remove them through the gap in the top.  Honestly, I can't remember if I ended up getting both pieces out at once or not.

Take photos and label everything.  I took all of my hardware over the wire wheel and also cleaned up the crank, brackets and tracks.  A new roller kit from Year One and the windows will roll up with ease.

I have some photos of the unit put together on my bench which helped with figuring out how to re and re this tricky part.  I was told it was going to be a nightmare and in reality, it wasn't that bad.

BTW - well done on labeling all the nuts and bolts - it made my reply much easier to write.

john108

Thank you very much Shakey!!
The first thing I am going to do is SEAL OFF that crevis at the bottom of the window area.
With your help, Now I have enough knowledge to start removing nuts and bolts.
I will mark every end as it is removed, with the bolt/nut number, and photo document as I go.
I expect it to be a puzzle to put back together but the pictures and your Narrative should help.
I hope the parts are available.  Other members have previously posted difficulties in obtaining the parts.
Thank you,
John

Shakey

Quote from: john108 on December 13, 2007, 10:59:28 PM
The first thing I am going to do is SEAL OFF that crevis at the bottom of the window area.
I will mark every end as it is removed, with the bolt/nut number, and photo document as I go.
I expect it to be a puzzle to put back together but the pictures and your Narrative should help.
I hope the parts are available.  Other members have previously posted difficulties in obtaining the parts.
Thank you,
John

Anytime!

I wouldn't worry too much about sealing up the lower qtr as you should be able to get a mechanics magnet in there to retrieve anything you drop however an old shirt used to fill up the gap at the bottom should do the trick.

Installing them again was a bit tricky but as mentioned, I don't recall it being as bad as I was told it was gonna be.  I remember getting the two large pieces in place first, the mechanism and the large bracket, setting them in place but not tightening things up just yet, and then start with the tracks etc.  Getting the rollers in place was kinda tricky but it can be done.

Here are a couple of photos I took just after I removed it from the car to help give me an idea of what it looks like installed.

Shakey

Quote from: john108 on December 13, 2007, 10:59:28 PM
Thank you,
John

Hold off on B2 & B3 as I think I made a mistake when referring to those two.  Let me look at some pictures and I'll get back to you.

EDIT:  As I had originally stated, B2 & B3 can be removed at any time as they hold a stopper in place.  As you were!

john108

Shakey, It looks like you know what you are doing.  Too bad you are in Toronto and I am in California, I would leave it for you.
I don't sweat taking it apart, it is getting the parts and putting it together is my concern.  I will probably take one apart this week, wait to get the parts, then look at the other one.
Thank you again
John

dodgedarren

Shaky, that you for the pictures and information you have provided to us all.
I used them to re-install both my rear quarter glass and they installed perfect.
Thank you for taking the time and documenting with such detail.

Darren

twodko

Hey John,

Buy a small telescoping magnet picker-upper-thingy. I have one that extends to about 12" with ".38 cal" size magnet at the end. They make others with larger magnets on the ends but they are too powerful to use easily. You're simply fishing for dropped nuts, bolts, clips etc. I can't tell you how much grief this $3-5 tool has saved me. Napa, Kragens, Sears etc carry them.........must have in every tool box IMO. By the way, that is an outstanding picture w/fastener I.D. you posted, I wish I knew how to add things like that before posting a pix. Good on you Bro.   :cheers:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Crabtree charger

Some old posts never die. I found this to be very helpfull. Thanks guys!