News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

On the edge of brake problems!

Started by keith88, July 16, 2014, 09:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith88

Hi guys as some of you have seen i have been going though my 69 that i got back in march. Recently iv been doing the brakes when i got it it had a leaking drum booster and master but had disc brakes so i just put the correct disc booster and master and im on the edge of having a vacuum issue although the cam (318 engine) is not stock its not that big and i don't know what it is and neither did the guy i got it from. I have 20" and when you hit the brake it goes down to about 14, and i got that by missing with the timing but will go back up to 20-22 when you step on the gas. Good for about 3 to 4 hits in a row on the brake pedal before it starts to get a hard pedal. I already installed a vac can so my next try might be the installation of a vacuum pump in the future, has anyone done this and what should i look out for?
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

Back N Black

If you have 20" of vacuum, you don't need a vacuum pump. How does the car stop? Do the pedal get hard and you lose braking effect?

keith88

The car has 20" at the 1st pedal hit but goes down from there to around 14 so the 1st hit is good ,hit 4 or 5 it getting harder and dose no have great stopping ability, it dose go up under throttle its drivable but i would like a little insurance in the brake pedal. seeing that grill can no longer be found without having to sell your 1st born. :rofl:
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

keith88

Just to put an end to this story i messed with the timing a little and now it seems to be good holding and has pedal.