News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MSD electronic troubleshooting

Started by hemi68charger, July 25, 2014, 04:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
Did a search on some troubleshooting for my MSD utilizing my Chrysler electronic distributor as the trigger. Yesterday I removed the distributor to put the light springs I purchased. Ever since I fired up the Hemi for the 1st time 2 weeks ago, the motor has started up fine. Then, yesterday, no-go. All I did was change out the springs. I've taken apart distributors before, so that isn't my 1st rodeo. With IGN2 on, I do have power to both sides of my ballast resistor ( there is a straight wire by-pass now, not the resistor ). I do have power to the +-side of the coil. With IGN2 on, I take the male end of the two-prong distributor lead (harness-side) and touch it to ground. I get no spark from the coil wire ( distributor cap end ). If I recall correctly? Isn't this the troubleshooting procedure to see whether the distributor pick-up inside is bad?

I don't think I have an MSD problem......

Thanks in advance....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

firefighter3931

Troy, have a look at the troubleshooting link from MSD :

http://www.msdignition.com/page.aspx?id=3206

If the box checks out i would suspect a coil issue. You can allways run a primary/secondary ohm test on the coil to see if it has an internal short. The pickup can also be tested for resistance to determine if it's good or bad.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs